oil level stick question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Sjors
True Blue

oil level stick question

Post by Sjors »

Hello everyone!

the collar of the engine oil level dip stick is loose and it is not clearly visible in what position it was. So now I can push the dip stick too deep so I don´t know the correct oil level anymore.

Questions:
-are there differences in Fordson Major engine oil dip stick lengths?
-is the tractor dip stick different then the 590E dip stick?
-my engine (590e) has a cast iron sump for tractor purpose. Is the dip stick for this pan different in length then the tractor?
-offcourse I don't know if I have the correct dip stick for my pan. On the dip stick is a writing: Enfo E1ADKN6750-B TRACTOR

If somebody could give me the measure from the FULL mark till the bottom of the collar (where the sump pipe stops) I would be glad. Thanks in advance!

Sjors

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: oil level stick question

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post a pic of your sump please? 6 cylinder tractor sumps are rare, but if you do have one then the std. tractor dipstick you have (E1ADKN-6750B, marked TRACTOR) is the one you want. Other sumps are a different matter and the part nos. will be different (the lorry one is immense in comparison although the top bit (outside the tube) is actually the same except the stampings). Then there's the early tractor type, E1ADKN-6750 with no tube in the sump and a flat retainer (instead of the deep one the later one has), but those are rare and never fitted to sixes.
This should show you where you should find evidence of brazing: viewtopic.php?p=59671#p59671
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

If you know the oil capacity for your engine you could drain it, refill it with the correct amount and set your dip stick full mark to that level
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Hi Sandy,
thanks for your link with the measurement. Yes I know I have the rare cast iron tractor sump with pivot point for the front axle triangle.
I have the same as this one: https://www.tractorfan.nl/picture/1488734/ (in the picture is a repro!, the one I have is not a repro) with the exeption that the oil drain is near the bell housing, not near the pivot like in the picture.

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

hi John,

I don´t have official data for the quantity of oil for 590E engine with cast iron tractor sump.

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Sandy,

question about the link you sent. "top of the locating tube" is in my opinion the right end (if you look at the picture in the link) of the locating tube, you agree?

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

An excellent variety of photos in the ‘tractorfan’ link by Sjors.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I've never known the amount but as there are some others with these sumps that should sort that, I didn't expect what you said about the drain plug though, but then I looked at a genuine one and you're right, I'd never noticed that! Not too sure what you're asking about the tube. That's a very good job on that sump to whoever made it, in correct pre assembly condition.
Sandy
ImageImageImage