Steering box refurbishment

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Old52
True Blue

Steering box refurbishment

Post by Old52 »

In the process of restoring the old petrol FM, I decided to open the steering gearbox, mostly to clean and seal it. This is what I found. Also, there were no shims fitted to either the side plate or the steering wheel shaft. At the moment, the steering does not have much play in the gearbox, most is from the spindles I think, but this does not look right. Thoughts / suggestions?

https://postimg.cc/4KW8j0Pw

Regards,

Bob

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Steering box refurbishment

Post by Billy26F5 »

No shims suggest high wear, but there probably would be play if that were the case. If everything looks ok and there is no play just keep it as it is, I should also say there should be as little preload as possible, but never any play. If there is play with no shims the bearings probably need changing.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

Thanks Sandy. That was pretty much my plan, don't try to fix what isn't broken (yet). I was concerned by the significant wear on the plate with the curved slot in it, which is not meant to be there from what I can see in the parts book...

Bob

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The manual agrees with that but I don't think you'll find many boxes without it as the load on that area is quite high.
Sandy
ImageImageImage