Diff housing to gearbox New performance major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fiveight
Not Quite Blue Yet

Diff housing to gearbox New performance major

Post by Fiveight »

Hi,
I am in the process of rebuilding the diff and bevel gear housing due to it being stood for a while and the diff is seized. The diff housing was tight to remove from the gear box and during removal we saw a clamp of the output shaft from the gear box.
We slackened off the clamp and the back end housing was easier to remove. I am not sure why this made it easier, as I cant see any reason why slacking the clamp should loosen the shaft?
Is there a procedure for tightening the clamp, how do I access the service manual to view this?
Many thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Diff housing to gearbox New performance major

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here are the relevant manuals, there are more around for other parts and periods too.
https://www.fordson.se/4B_V%E4xell%E5da ... 16-035.pdf http://www.fordson.se/5_Bakaxel_Supleme ... 01-015.pdf
The clamp shouldn't be touched unless the seal needs replacing or the large gear needs to be removed. That seal can often leak so now you've done the difficult bit I would change it while you're there.
Sounds like a stuck diff lock, someone else had that not too long ago on the forum. Hope you don't have the problem Billy had, that's a much more complicated job to fix.
Be careful not to loose shims for diff adjustment and ensure the top cover comes off perfectly square for the first 2" to avoid cracking the feed pipe bracket (assuming you do lift the top cover, which you might not need). Pre-loads can be done without the special tools but will be more accurate with a similar sort of setup.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Fiveight
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Diff housing to gearbox New performance major

Post by Fiveight »

Thanks Sandy.