Major Brake Drum Cover

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Old Hywel
True Blue

Major Brake Drum Cover

Post by Old Hywel »

I replaced the brake drum cover on my 54 Major today. Things didn’t go that smoothly.
It all started some time ago, when I renewed the oil seal inside the drum, got distracted and left the job unfinished. The cover has four slots to take the securing bolts into the backplate.
With the inspection window positioned to the rear of the drum - giving access to the adjuster - only two of the slots lined up with the tapped holes. After much fiddling, and a few naughty words, I discovered that the only way to fit more than two bolts was to turn the cover 90 degrees ‘forwards. ’ Unfortunately, this places the inspection window at the top, far away from the adjuster. Strangely, this appears to be the way the cover was designed, with the drainage slot now at the bottom.
A video on YouTube from Fixing Fordsons Australia shows a similar arrangement to mine, with the window uselessly positioned at the top. Anyone else noticed this?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Major Brake Drum Cover

Post by Billy26F5 »

The window on the cover is a relic from the E27N days (the part no is E27N-2774B), when the back plate was 90 degrees forwards from the position on the Major (E1ADKN-2213 & E1ADKN-2214 replaced E27N-2213B & E27N-2214B). The access to the expander is through a slot in the backplate behind the bull pinion (180 degrees from the anchor pin) which is supposed to have a cover (part no. E1ADKN-2238) but I've not seen one yet. Both of Billy's drum covers are placed in the same position with the window at the top. There's a riveted cover on there (part no. E27N-2766B) which will not cover the hole in any other position.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Right, that makes sense!
Leftover parts, incorporated into a different design.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

I took a quick look earlier and sure enough, the adjustment slots are there, on the inboard face of the backplate. I’m pleased to report that one slot is fitted with with a narrow metal cover.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good find. Could you post a pic please? I'm keen to see if I can find Billy's ones lying around somewhere.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Posting photos here is above my pay grade.
The slot cover measures roughly 3/8” by 1 1/2” with a light groove down the centre, smaller than the Dexta’s.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Sandy, came across this today in a tub of bolts, pretty sure it's an adjuster cover from the brake backplate of a major

My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Thanks very much John looks and measures about right, one of your Major's no doubt will have it fitted soon! I'll see if I can find Billy's ones, but I can't remember coming across them at the moment so it might take a while.
Sandy
ImageImageImage