PTO problem? Gearbox noise Super major 1963

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Aleš63
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO problem? Gearbox noise Super major 1963

Post by Aleš63 »

Hi, I have a problem with my Major
When I lift a plough or a potato planter with hydraulics, for example, does it make a nasty noise, probably from the gearbox? Could it be the bearing? If so, which one? Anyone have experience of a similar sound when lifting? When I lift the hydraulics with no load the lifting is quiet. There is also fresh hydraulic oil in the tractor. Thank you for your help.

https://youtu.be/6StlViWnvm0?feature=shared

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: PTO problem? Gearbox noise Super major 1963

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

I think it's worth looking at the bearings in the pto box.
It's not a big job, you will need to drain the oil from the rear end and gearbox. Before you start with this, check the oil level in the gearbox.
take out the pto shaft from the back.
dismantle the pto lever
and you should be able to take the pto box off

PS: If the oil level of the gearbox wasn't at the right level, you can now also change the seal in the pto box.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like Mathias is right, you'll need to drain both the gearbox and rear axle for this, also be careful as everything is heavy. New seals are available, the bearings are part nos. BB-7025 and BB-7065, they should have a number stamped on them telling you what kind they actually are. The o-ring might be a bit more difficult to find, and you'll need gasket paper.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Aleš63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Aleš63 »

Thank you for your advice. I have already ordered the bearings and all the seals. Hopefully the problem will be solved.

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

Just pulled the drop box off my major on the weekend to replace the seal between the gearbox and rear end. Almost nothing left of the seal, no wonder it was loosing the oil so quick from the gearbox to rear. Reasonably simple job.

The only drama I had was the seal I had waited 2 months to get was naturally the wrong one. There is a single double lip seal with internal 44mm and another with two single lip seals and 54mm internal, both had 89mm outside. Differing width too, the single seal is 19mm and the double seals are 12mm each not sure how to tell what’s it what before you open it up??

Also worth mentioning the 60L of oil I had to deal with when I was only prepared for about 40L. Might as well clean out the strainer while your’re there. Mine was completely blocked with 60 years of crud. That along with fresh oil should speed things up. Been tapping out new gaskets to get ready to put it all back to together.
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

The seal depends if you have a new performance tractor or not. The double lip is for the new performance tractor. All others have 2 seals back to back

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Mathias is right, the double lip seal I/d c44mm is for the New Performance tractor. Today two single lip seals I/d c54 mm are used for all other tractors, however when the E1A Major was launched in 1951 the first few months production were fitted with a double lip seal I/d c54mm, this must have had issues and was dropped and the two single lip seals I/d c54mm were then fitted in production and for replacing the double lip I/d c54mm seal when it became necessary.
Again, I think these two sizes and types of seal can still be obtained from seal factors in the original Imperial sizes, and from memory they used to be listed in the Sparex catalogue as well as the metric equivalents.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

E1ADDN7024
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E1ADDN7024 »

Good evening, question: do the new performance shaft with seal 44 fit into the older models pto housing from before June 1963? And the other way round, older shaft with seal 54 into np housing?
Thanks and regards, Huub

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

E1ADDN7024 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 pm
Good evening, question: do the new performance shaft with seal 44 fit into the older models pto housing from before June 1963? And the other way round, older shaft with seal 54 into np housing?
Thanks and regards, Huub
Hello Huub,

the pto drop box does have a different size on a new performance tractor.
The shaft it self seems to have the same parts number from the beginning to the end:
E1ADKN-7255, Years: 01-JAN-52-31-DEC-64

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, E1ADKN-7255 was used till 08C-960337, when it was replaced by E1ADDN-7255, with the previous part no longer available. The new shaft and seal will fit in older castings, but it's not recommended to use the older shaft and seals in the NP box as the new design might also be stronger (although no reference has been made to that in the manual).
Nobody said this but it is indeed 4 1/2 gallons in the gearbox and 9 in the rear axle, so lots of oil to catch.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

E1ADDN7024
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E1ADDN7024 »

Hi Mathias, hi Sandy,
Thank you very much for this information.
Regards, Huub