Cranckcase and oil splashes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Cranckcase and oil splashes

Post by Billy26F5 »

The parts books do indeed often omit parts in illustrations, particularly fastenings. Worn rings will normally show a drop in power, as will any injector issues. I would do a test after fixing the seals to see what changes you get before taking the head or injectors off.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

That was my idea to. Hope I"ll have them at the end of the week.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

henk

Post by henk »

Succes!!!!!!! :D

Changed the cup seals and When I started the engine the smoke was less. Let it run for a while and a bit of oil came out. Two day,s later I tested it longer and all seem weel. But of oil. Today had a drive for 10 miles, a day of demo ploghing and 10 miles back. No oil at all.
I'm a happy man.

Thanks for all your toughts.
Kind regards, Henk

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Glad that's sorted, did you fit the ring seals too or not? Not at all surprised it took a bit of running to clear it, hope you have more success with the front crank seal this time. Super Billy's one is leaking too, and it's probably done less than 30 hours from when it was fixed (but then it did sit around for a very long time before the last 12 hours), it was a new seal and the pulley was welded and machined to remove the groove (hope it's not back and it's just a crap seal but we'll see at some stage).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

There is no grove for the ring seal, so did'nt put them on.
When fixing the front seal, do you remove only the nose and radiator or the whole front with the axle?
Did it one time that way en the second time just the nose and radiator. That was not easy to get the puley back on.
It's going to be a winter job for me. For now I'm going to enjoy the club events and plough matches.
Kind regards, Henk

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like they're not the original valves then, as yours would have had those ring seals when new. When Super Billy's seal was first fixed the heavy bits were left undisturbed, but there were other issues being dealt with at the time and it seemed unnecessary to pull the front off only to end up fixing that too (in the end we did fix that but over ten years later with the engine already half assembled after it failed). Not yet sure what we'll do, at the moment we've got stuff to do as well and not a lot of time, not to mention the hellish heat being back and massively reducing the time available.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

Seems you are a bussy man.
Tanks again for your help.
Kind regards, Henk