It runs (with a slight kink)

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

It runs (with a slight kink)

Post by NT »

Hi, if you remember i had posted help wont run right a while back with the new major i got. Well it runs now. I rebuilt the injection pump(DIY is a good way to save money) new barrels and plungers cam bearings, delivery valve springs,ect. So now it runs on all 4(without a drop of ether :D ) instead of one. The problem i am having is that when i start it cold like this morning(40 deg) it puts out white smoke. I am used to this in cold diesels but you have to let it idle for about 5-10 min before it will run right. At that point the white smoke is still there but not as thick. After it ran about an hour non stop with me just driving it the smoke was thin but still there. Puts out alot when given throttle then thins out as the rpm builds. It has power i can put it in 5th gear and take it up my back hill and accelerate on the way. Can even get that nice black smoke from it. It also runs a little spitty at full throttle. I have messed with the timing with no real difference. It is set on 21(1958). It has been bled well.Starts back up when warm great.If i run it a while then come back and let it idle the smoke is almost non exsistent for a minute or so. In the entire hour that i ran it it never saw 130 temp. What i was thinking is that there is no thermostat. And that maybe because the engine is not getting to opperating temp it is causing incomplete combustion. My best guess is that the temp got to around 110 because my gauge starts at 130 and i could dip my finger in the coolant and not get burnt. So hopefully you guys have some input. Also i feel that it has good compression and was rebuilt several years back. Hits about 28lbs oil at idle and 35-40 at rpm. Thanks

If i get this fixed all i have to do is fix some oil leaks. And learn to live with that horrible wine in the rear end. Then its gonna get worked like its meant for.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I'm glad to hear that your Major is running better now. Did you have the pump calibrated after you rebuilt it?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

As J-C says, your pump should be calibrated and I would also check your timing. It should be 23 degrees for a 1958 tractor.

There is an "announcement" in this section giving all the timing settings and only Minimec pumps from 1962 to 1964 should be set at 21.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Great news the major is running great. Went to the parts store this morning and payed $6 for a new thermostat. There was an old gutted one in it. Popped the stat in and within a couple of minutes of running it was up to about 140. The white smoke was pretty well gone at all rpm. Once it hit 170 there is absolutely no smoke. The major is running 10 times better. Both at rpm and idle it runs smooth and has excellent throttle response. Will pull it self up the steepest hill i have in 5th gear with only light black smoke(can even accelerate). Takes off fine in 6th. Maintains a temp between 170-190. Hope to get it out tomarrow and do some bush hoggin. Thanks for having this great site. Nathan