How many HP on the PTO?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Pascal
True Blue

How many HP on the PTO?

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

I was wondering how many HP an SuperMajor (an '61 with 52HP) has on the PTO? I think about 42HP.

The reason I ask, is because I have heard someone say, that the PTO is basically the PTO-gearbox/-axle of the E27N and therefor should not be (often) used for jobs that ask more than 27HP.
What do you think?

I have installed raised PTO on my Super.

Looking forward to your reactions.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think your friend needs to see the 1300hp Merlin fitted in a basic Major rear end that was on the pulling circuit in Holland some years ago. :D

The gearbox and final drives were grossly over-engineered in the Major. When the 5000 came out it was actually lighter by 5cwt than the Major. Over here we have Majors with 6 cylinder engines in that were used on forage harvesters and Howard RotoSpreaders for many years without problems.

Gearbox and final drive problems on Majors came from people using the transmission hand brake to stop the tractor and breakup of the bull pinions and gear wheels due to letting one wheel spin then standing on the dif lock pedal. The Power Major/Super Major final drive was slightly weaker than the Major as Ford changed the specification but even so it will take a lot of power.

My books do not specify PTO Hhp but I would think that you are about right.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Pascal,

A E27N on TVO is approx 30 hp. A E27N is approx 36 HP (when new) and a E27N with Perkins P6 is 48 HP.

The last part of the tractor I would worry about is the PTO. That's realy tough.

Best regards.

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Thank you very much, guys, for your quick response :D !
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

How many HP on the PTO

Post by BarryM »

Hi Pascal,
The grey wheeled Super Major produced 47HP at the PTO at 1700RPM, and were rated at 53.7BHP (also at 1700RPM).
BarryM