1957 ? Major Glad to find this site

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

1957 ? Major Glad to find this site

Post by patch »

I was searching Brian Dye and found it. Some of you guys may remember some years ago on yesterday's tractor when I got the Major I made a comment about using a hydraulic hose with one end placed in the transmission to draw off fluid which had passed over a long period of time to overfill the rear. I think I was the first to suggest that. Anyway that's who I am. Boyd Helton, Charlotte, N.C.

My problem is I suspect a friend of using battery jumping cables incorrectly of course, but he doesn't admit it. Where should I check first and what damage could it have done. I checked nothing yet. The tractor has only been moved occasionaly for years. It could be the three year old battery has simply given out. But I suspect the friend strongly. Best to you guys, very glad to find you all. ( Even Oscar LOL ).
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome Boyd, glad you finally found us!! :D

Your friend will not have damaged anything electrical if the tractor still has a dynamo. Just a big flash and bang!! The only thing he might have done in that case is blown the battery to pieces.

It could be different if you have an alternator fitted though. He might have blown the diodes in the regulator package.

I would think your battery has given out if the tractor has been standing idle and the battery charge has not been kept up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

battery

Post by patch »

Thanks a bunch. My son had the same notion. It is the original tractor except the front wheels have been changed.
Great reading.
My son will be very interested. He is undertaking restoring the old girl. Still runs like a new tractor. I did have to replace the rubber diaphram on the pneumatic govenor several years ago.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I remember Patch,

Welcome back.
I have used your idea to drain the back end.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

COOL!

Post by patch »

What about that, i'm glad I found you guys.
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

external fitting

Post by patch »

Actually I needed the external fitting. I think Brian told me it would work to remove the plug ( as you have ) but to plumb in pipe then put the hydraulic coupler on the end.

I had a really old International pull mower with crimper rollers right down at the sickle. It didn't have a reel to pull in the crop but man did that thing love thick hay. It would not pick up one blade that a tire track went over though.

I loved mowing with it. When I started out of the hay I could time how long it took the lift arms to come up then the mower would start up and the cylinder brought it on up. I had cylinder block for traveling plus I had a valve on the pipe extension.

I swear I remember reading the PTO was 720 in the owners book but I have been told I was mistaken. Anyway, I loved that thing.

( and it's so funny because I was used to mowing with, well,-- it was just when New Idea came out with the 5209 disc crimper and Heston had a brand new tractor 70 hp., big change LOL )
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Your memory is not at fault! A Major PTO runs at 722 rpm at 1600 erpm. I break connecting rods on my Ransomes sickle mower if I forget that when using Henrietta.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

I knew it !

Post by patch »

I reinforced the wobble box on that International and it would suck orchard grass chest high. I took the rock guards off an old #9 John Deere and adjusted the new sicklelike scissors lol.

Did you get any of those Heston tractors ? They didn't make them long but I think the same Fiat motor is in the New Holland now ? Weird .
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think the Heston tractor was a badged Fiat. I believe Fiat owned Heston at one time.

We had Fiats over here but they never really caught on. Could not find too many drivers that would fit through the wierd cab doors and once in the cab, the roof was in front of your face.

I changed a number of PTO packs without taking the cab off. Was told it was impossible but I made a tool that, with the help of a fork lift, would take the lift out from under the cab. It was not easy but it worked and saved nearly two days of work.
Brian