Lift arms leaking down

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
patch
Not Quite Blue Yet

Lift arms leaking down

Post by patch »

I'm not good at searching. Iwas sure I would find this subject covered in the previous post.
I mowed hay with a pull type mower so the lift was not essential for that but now we want to restore the tractor.
I understand from my wife's great Uncle (who has just about retired, he is about 90, he is a treasure, worked for the Allis Chalmers Dealership til they closed and then at his home shop ), anyway, he told me that it is a common problem.
He is the one who told me right away when my rubber diaphram was bad because the rpm ran away with me. He also told me where to look for the replacement in Charlotte N.C.
It is a funny story. I called Carolina Diesel and, yes, they had one "in stock" strangely enough. As it turns out it had been there quite some time. It had been mistakenly ordered by someone who had an older machine which actually had a leather diaphram according to the parts man.
He talked 5 minutes before he would give me the price of $89.00
" I said, fellow, I'm so shook up I can't write the check" ha ha.
But I was thrilled to get it and get the purr back. I never seen any kind of engine remotely like that thing. They should still be making that exact same engine today !
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I