My Roadless

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Grani
True Blue

My Roadless

Post by Grani »

Here is a picture of my Major. It´s a 63 and i have put a Trader six in it. I have some paintjob still to do on it. The loader has been from the begining.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Grani
Nice looking tractor. You've done a nice job of it.
Does the hydraulic pump on the front only run the loader, or the tractor hydraulics as well.
Kiwi Kev

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Grani,
I'm green with envy!
I am sure there are many readers here on the board like myself that would like to know more about your tractor; it's history and your plans for it. (Are you intending to work it part time? full time? or for showing?)
Don't be shy :nono:
Tell us lots more ..... :wink:

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Kiwi Kev wrote:Grani

Does the hydraulic pump on the front only run the loader, or the tractor hydraulics as well.
Kiwi Kev
The frontpump is only for the loader and it is possible to disengage it for longer road trips, otherwise the hydraulic oli get´s wery hot.
Meanderer wrote:Grani,
I'm green with envy!
I am sure there are many readers here on the board like myself that would like to know more about your tractor; it's history and your plans for it. (Are you intending to work it part time? full time? or for showing?)
Don't be shy :nono:
Tell us lots more ..... :wink:

Regards,
Rick
I don´t know its history but the last ten years it has been stored in my friends buches before I bought it. My main plan was to change the old engine to the six cilinder I had at home. During the change It was easy to paint all parts that I hade removed. The next step is to continue with the paint job towards the rear. The loader is getting the same colour as the wheels, but I have no hurry, and I use it while I´m fixing it. I am not a farmer so I use it only for light work in the garden. The heavyest duty is to transport my boat to the sea. The total weight of boat, trailer and tractor is 11,5 tons so it´s coming a lot of smoke in a slope.
(Excuse me for my poor english.) :oops:

henk

Post by henk »

It's a beayty Grani, :thumbs:

I haven't seen the cab before. It look nice. Was is on the tractor when it was new?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

henk wrote:It's a beayty Grani, :thumbs:

I haven't seen the cab before. It look nice. Was is on the tractor when it was new?
Thanks.
I think so because the fenders are positioned 12 cm wider (and the wheels turned over) to get more space for the hydraulic tank inside the right fender. This modification was done in Finland by the loader manufacturer. The cab is as wide as the fenders. The loader is a 63 model as well. I have removed the balance weight from the rear and installed the normal agri 3 poit lift and a hitch hook instead. (hope you understand what I mean) The new length of the tractor gives the extra weight needed at the rear.

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

That is one nice looking tractor you have there. 8)
I am interested in the drive to the hydraulic pump for the loader. Any chance of a picture?
All the best
Huzey.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Huzey wrote:That is one nice looking tractor you have there. 8)
I am interested in the drive to the hydraulic pump for the loader. Any chance of a picture?
All the best
Huzey.
Comming up

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Many thanks, much appreciated.
Huzey

Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Installing engine

Post by Mac »

Hello,Grani
Very nice tractor you have there!! :D Did you take any photos when you were installing the engine?? :? It sure would be great to see what she looks like and what was involved?? I know it would be hard getting any of the engine now! :( Again a very nice machine!!!! :D

Always the Best
Mac :)

Grani
True Blue

Re: Installing engine

Post by Grani »

Mac wrote:Hello,Grani
Very nice tractor you have there!! :D Did you take any photos when you were installing the engine?? :? It sure would be great to see what she looks like and what was involved?? I know it would be hard getting any of the engine now! :( Again a very nice machine!!!! :D

Always the Best
The engine has been the last 30 years in a boat and then i bought it.
It had a blown headgasket.
Then i fixed it and change the front plate behind the timing gear to a plate that fit the tractor frame. And I install a 13" clutch on the flywheel. And then some paint.
I had to extend the loader frame.
As you all know the oilpan normally keeps the tractor in one piece and the frontaxle A-frame in place. On this engine the oilpan in in aluminum and is too weak for the loads. The loader frame is used to take all the stress that normally is on the oilpan. The front axle is allso connected to the loader frame. The bolts of the oilpan don´t match the holes of the gearbox but the aluminum is too weak anyway.

Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Engine installation.

Post by Mac »

Hello,Grani
Very good photos of the engine! Glad to see you thought of getting them when you were doing the engine!! I did not think about photos when I did my 1961 super major until it was done. :(
Other than changing the front plate did the engine bolt right in? It does not look like you used an adapter plate for the bellhousing??
Did it match up to the transmission O.K. other than at the bottom of the oil pan? Again thanks for the photos and a great looking Machine!! 8)

Always the Best
Mac :D

Grani
True Blue

Re: Engine installation.

Post by Grani »

Mac wrote: Other than changing the front plate did the engine bolt right in? It does not look like you used an adapter plate for the bellhousing??
Did it match up to the transmission O.K. other than at the bottom of the oil pan? Again thanks for the photos and a great looking Machine!! 8)

Always the Best
Mac :D
Yes the bellhousing match perfectly without any adapterplate. The hardest job was to extend everything in the engine area. here is a list of them: Loader frame, sideframes, steeringrod, Frontaxle A-frame, front propellershaft, throttle linkage, profmetercable, electrical wires, aircleaner hose, hydraulic hoses, frontloader lever, fuelpipes, oilfilterhoses, stopcable, exhaust system.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Here is a new photo taken yesterday after two veeks of paintjob. I also renew the hydraulic hoses on the loader.

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Excellent Grani !!
Excellent
Excellent :thumbs:
'
Regards,
Rick

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done Grani she looks great, you can be very proud of your hard work. :clap:

Kind regards
Mervyn.

Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mac »

Grani,very nice she looks great!! :clap:

Always the Best

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It has now been transported to our great tractor event this weekend here in Finland.
The Fordson-Club annual event Rauta ja Petrooli (Iron and Kerosene)
http://www.masinistit.com/index_eng.htm

henk

Post by henk »

Hat off as we say in Holland, Grani.
It looks great.
Have a nice event.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Thanks to You all for the support. :lol: It shall be a nice weekend with houndreds of tons of old iron in many colours and shapes generating different sounds and smoke. :eyes:

JC

Post by JC »

Grani,
You put a lot of hard work into that tractor, and it turned out really nice. I hope you had a good time a the tractor show.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Here is frech pics.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Nice Roadless and verry nice pics from the show !!

Can you post some pics from the front axel from the mittle of the tractor so I can see what the maximum steering angle is.

I think the shortet mine some time ago to save the ("homokneet" wie weet het engelse woord) steering.

thanks Frans

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Frans wrote:Nice Roadless and verry nice pics from the show !!

Can you post some pics from the front axel from the mittle of the tractor so I can see what the maximum steering angle is.

I think the shortet mine some time ago to save the ("homokneet" wie weet het engelse woord) steering.

thanks Frans
The maximun steering angle is 23 degres for the left wheel in a left turn and the right wheel in a right turn. The opposite wheel turns less.
I just found som information on Bendix joints.
http://www.vernco.com/frontaxle/id374_t ... aution.htm
Last edited by Grani on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Great pictures!! :clap:
I have really enjoyed them!!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.