Lift Cover Cross-Shaft Removal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ddoan
True Blue

Lift Arm's Off!

Post by ddoan »

Well, Brian was right! My lift arm lifted off the cross-shaft, today:

It just took a week of PB Blaster, a few knocks, and steady gear puller pressure:

I fully expected the lift arm to "pop," when it gave, but instead it was a slow, steady slide until it came off. I also had to wrap the puller with the mechanic's wire to keep the jaws from slipping off.

Now, if I can get the shaft to slide out of the ram lift arm, I'll be happy. That could take even more time, however. What puzzles me is why the cross-shaft and ram lift arm are so solidly stuck. I would have assumed that since both of those components are inside of the hydraulic cavity they would have been well-lubricated. Oh well, here we go again!

Don

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Glad it came off eventually. The rocker in the centre is always a problem on all the range.

It does not get a lot of oil up there, there is nothing to splash it around and it has been 50 years since it was put together (possibly). You do get a lot of condensation up there though. The tractors were also used for fertilizer spreading too and this causes things to rust up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

That is a very very nice photo album. I did a 59 Dexta as well but lost nearly all photo's due hard disk crash. Removing the lift arms took me about ten days . To get the shaft out put it under a 50 ton hydraulic press. Saw that you had the cyl.head of .If that was free of heavy carbon built up ,piston rings will be ok. The rear exhaust port of my Dexta was filled up with deposits ,the hole left had a diametre of a pencil. It was still starting and running ok but with lots of blue smoke .

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done Don

It will be interesting to see how you get your cross shaft off. The bushes on my cross shaft need replacing but I did not have the courage to attempt the removal. I will wait in anticipation to see how you progress. Thanks you for the pictures so far.

Mervyn

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

Hi Don,

after pulling the second crosshaft today I can give you some advices :D . First of all, get a huge press. Not one of these 20ton toys.

Then, before you start pressing, I would check for a little spacer ring. Mine was always on the cam side.
When I pressed out the first on, I did not take care. This little bastard ist not very good steel quality and gets pressed between the bushing and the plunger, making it really hard to press it out that way (too big outer diameter).
So try to press it in the opposite direction or try to grind the ring if you have two of them.
I tried heat and antirust, but no difference. At the end It was pure power that made it. I was not pacient enough, but maybe leaving it for some weeks in a diesel bath makes it smoother.
To give you an idea the first one came out rather easy (20 ton) until the little ring got stuck (I did not know :oops: ) After that I needed 35tons to get it out. Use a stable base, that is quite a lot of accumulated power.
The second one was worse and after trying smoothly for some hours, I took a safe position and at 50 ton there was a loud bang.
After that i needed 30 tons several bangs until the beast came out. Luckily it was in better shape than the first one I pulled so the work was worse it.

To not attempt to press backwards when your are stuck. All the dirt falls onto the splines making it even worse.

Personally I would just clean it up and leave it where it is if the bushings look ok from the outside. Your are quite certainly never going to use them in your lifetime. I think I am going to put back the two best bushings. There is no major wear. The axle is a bit rusty on some areas at the bottom, but if you don't change the crossshaft, you won't be able to fix it anyhow.

Just my two cents

Nils :D
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Nisse,

Here is a photo of the underside of my hydraulic lift cover:

The right side of the cover is pointing up. Where exactly is the washer you describe? I have not been able to locate it.

Also, is there any concern that pressing out the cross-shaft might damage the cast cover itself? And, if I do put this into a press, should the orientation be as shown, or should the cover be reversed so that the press is pressing down on the left end of the cross-shaft?

I've been spraying PB Blaster onto the cross shaft for a month, now - a little each day, while I do other tasks. Maybe I'll try banging on it before I take it to a press, but I want to make sure that I am banging on the proper side of the shaft.

Thanks for your post.

Don

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

I would use the same orientation as in the picture. But you will have to remove the Spring and stuff first I think.
The ring was beetwen the cam and the cover on your picture. I did not see any damage on my covers but maybe I will find out the hard way when mounting again :D .
But casting quality was pretty good when I look at my bended lift arms.
Maybe use a pressure washer first to get as little dirt as possible in the splines?

Nils
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Lift Cover Cross-Shaft Removal

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi
Plenty water has flowed under the bridge since the last post. Just interested to know if any of you managed to remove the cross shaft of your tractors.

I sent mine off to the engineers but still no joy. I will be going off to see him tomorrow with some of the suggestions you guys have made under my arm. Would be nice to know if someone has been successful.

Thanks Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Lift Cover Cross-Shaft Removal

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi
I apologise, I should have gone back into the post and read all the responses before asking my silly question. I did note the use of the 50 ton press which is quiet a whopper.

The engineers that I took my top too only had a 10ton press which was definately micky mouse.

I have decided to transfer the mechanisms of the top with worn bushes onto the better top. Are there any precautions that I need to be aware of whilst doing the transplant? I am rather a novice at this but am prepared to have it a go.

At the moment I am busy cleaning up the better top which I want to then paint and then populate with the working parts of the worn top.

Mervyn