My First Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

My First Dexta

Post by gcamp »

I have recently aquired my first Dexta. It is a '61 model in what you might call rough shape. I got it running to determine what I am up against and believe it has lots of potential, although some problems, and want to do a restoration/rebuild.
I have started disassembly and investigating, and have a couple of questions.

The right hand front axle knee has had the bottom crescent/bump stop part broken off and the side of the lower bearing cup is visible. I am not a purist and as Ford parts are easier to find here; Would a Ford model like a 600 series or 8N use the same axle extension?

Also, the radius arms are not straight. They don't appear damaged and I could probably ignore one, but one is very obvious. Has anyone ever had them straightened? Maybe at an auto body shop with a frame straightener.

Glad to have found this board.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Gene

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I think the Ford 2000 shared the same axle beam but not sure of the other axle parts. Worth a look though.

Do you have a picture of the bent arms?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: My First Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

gcamp wrote:Also, the radius arms are not straight. They don't appear damaged and I could probably ignore one, but one is very obvious. Has anyone ever had them straightened? Maybe at an auto body shop with a frame straightener.
Welcome!
Yes they can be straightened in a suitable press.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

gcamp
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gcamp »

Thanks for the replies.
My plans are to remove the front end pieces tomorrow. I'll get some good measurements and try and compare to the 2000.

I don't have any pictures in a suitable place to upload. I'll have to work on that. Without measuring, I would guess the right arm has about a 1 to 1.5 inch arch in it. Must have been a hard hit on that side.

Gene

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

pjjms wrote:I think the Ford 2000 shared the same axle beam but not sure of the other axle parts.
Agriline sell the king pins/spindles (Left+Right) for the dexta at £35 each and their description is:
Spindle LH Early 2000 10.75" long
part nos# 5196 & 5197. They are also listed on the Ford 2000 page along with the later type that are 11.75" long.

I bet a call to a New Holland spares may be worth it
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

I bet a call to a New Holland spares may be worth it
The parts lists are available online at www.newholland.com but maybe the number series for the Dexta and 2000 are not the same. So you might have to call anyhow.
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader