Hopping Out Of Gear

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Hopping Out Of Gear

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

More questions...

What are the possible causes of the gear lever hopping out of the selectors? It's an area I need to investigate as the top cover occasionaly comes loose and the threads on the bolts aren't brilliant. It still hops out even when the cover is tight though...?

Is it simply that the selector end of the gear lever is worn?

Thanks
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

the end of the lever may be worn, build it back up with weld. if the tractor is actually coming out of gear there are 2 pins under the gear lever plate that hold down a spring and ball bearing into grooves on the selector shaft. if this is the problem a correctly sized spacer between the plate and the pin can solve the problem.

hope this helps.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi john.n this is an idea ihavent came across, what kind of spacer and size , as ihave tried welding the bottom of levers and griding back as close as possible to the way they should be, but still she sticks in gear.
When spacer is in place will this leave a gap between lever plate and housing , could you get a picture up of the spacer in place etc. GERRY

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

a spacer to raise the gear lever plate will not stop the gear leaver from coming out of the selectors, if anything it would make the leaver come out of the selectors more often. the spacer i used was a nut to hold the pin down that should be an interference fit in the casting but for some reason had come loose. the problem caused by this was the lever was moving back into the neutral postion once in gear. the selector rail has noches in that a ball is pressed into by a spring, the pin controles the pressure of the spring. with the spring having no pressure the lever would not "click" into place and would not stay in gear. i guess i could have glued the pin in place but that would mean i had to get it right first time.

hope this makes sense.

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Does it happen in all gears or only one position.
Can you keep it in gear with your hand on the shift lever or is it still jumping out of gear in that case.
If that is the case bearings between respective gears and axles are worn.

bazjon
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bazjon »

This is the most common problem with Dextas. I tried building the gear lever up with weld, but the housing was also worn so the lever was able to ride up and come out of the selector.
Its cheap enough to replace the housing and gear lever, so thats what I did. No trouble now!

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

The gearstick on my super dexta started to give problems some years after I bought it and on investigation i found that it had been sleeved with 15mm copper pipe to stop the problem by a previous owner. A new piece of pipe solved the problem again although a new gearstick is now waiting to be fitted when I finally finish the engine rebuild