my dexta does'nt exist!!!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

my dexta does'nt exist!!!

Post by skipdow »

I was shocked recently when my fuel pump died and I went to my local tractor dealer that deals with fords (new holland) and asked for a rebuild kit for my pump. I made sure to tell them I had the gas(petrol) 4 cyl dexta.They told me "there was no gas one they only made a diesel" I smiled and told them they were incorrect and I know how to count to four. I also know what fuel I been filling it with for the last 10 years....."nope , the computer says the dexta only came in diesel, you sure you know the rite model of fordson?"
I sighed and asked if they had someone older working here.....the person scoffed and said sure....he called back to a gentalman who was rapidly aproaching his senior years and started to tell this guy that he tried to explain to me that there were no gas model dexta's and all of a sudden the old guy got a big grin on his face :lol: smirked and glanced over at me and said " he's new here" and proceeded to show the new guy where they keep the "paper catalogs" :shock: and pointed out the petrol dexta's.
Unfortunately it did'nt help and I now need to find another source for a fuel pump kit or fuel pump..... any suggestions?

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Skipdow,

Try to find a Ferguson TE-20/35 fuel pump. Should be the same.

Best regards,

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

This is where we may have a problem as the TE20 did not have a fuel pump, it was gravity fed.

The petrol MF35 may have one but that too could be gravity fed as the tank was over the engine. Also the Fergy has a starter where the fuel pump goes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

I'm going to try searching with the casting numbers off the pump online to see what it may cross with. If all else fails I can convert it to electric fuel pump but I'll try other options first....

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Petrol Dexta Fuel Pump Re-build

Post by Blues Power »

I just finished re-building my AC fuel pump with a kit from our32@aol.com.For $37.50 it includes a diaphragm,spring,valves,pivot pin,brass screen and all seals.Everything fit perfectly. Call Lisa @ 781 335-8860.
Carl
'62 Petrol Dexta

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Petrol Dexta Fuel Pump

Post by Blues Power »

Hello again, this supplier ,Then and Now Automotive has the rebuild kits and rebuilding services.Their website has a lot of good info on fuel pumps,including the AC pumps.
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/antiq ... cellar.htm

Carl
'62 Petrol Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Carl,
Do you remember what the kit or AC pump number is so that I can order a kit?
I can find no numbers on mine!

Skipdow,
Were you able to find a source for a pump or parts?

Thanks guys.

Les

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

I rebuilt mine using a spare kit I had for my Citroen light 15. A small mod to the rod with a file and it fitted well. Not sure thats going to be much help though as I assume Citroen parts are not going to be common over there.

The L15 is an English built one using lot of local manufacture parts. Seems the English were using lots of common parts and many parts of the ignition system fit both my Dexta and Nuffield tractors as well.

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

I ended up buying an electric fuel pump for it, hooked it up and it too would not pump :x
I pulled the supply hose off the tank and discovered very little fuel coming out. :roll:
I confirmed that the tank was full and shined a flashlight into the tank to look for an obstruction.....
At the drain hole in the tank was sitting a penny, In the daylight it looked like a hole but with the flashlight I could see a penny was blocking it and the full tank of fuel was keeping it pressed against the drain :oops:
after removing it I hooked my original fuel pump back up and it works great to this day :lol:

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Petrol Dexta Fuel Pump

Post by Blues Power »

[img][IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/ ... csmith.jpg[/url]http://maritimedragracing.com/antique_a ... cellar.htm

This site has rebuild kits and pumps.The pump on the Dexta is a Smith's AC Dual Lift.
Carl
'62 Petrol Dexta

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Smiths Fuel Pump

Post by Blues Power »

[img][img]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/ ... csmith.jpg[/img][/img]

Messed up that last reply,sorry.
'62 Petrol Dexta

Blues Power
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fuel pump re-build kits.

Post by Blues Power »

This url must be jynxed,I'll try again.

http://maritimedragracing.com/antique_a ... cellar.htm
'62 Petrol Dexta

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Thanks for the quick responses and a great diagram from Carl!
Ours came with a leaky diaphragm that was pushing gas (uhh petrol) into the crankcase.
I have it running by gravity but it can't keep up and doesn't go far on a carb full.
Les