PTO problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO problem

Post by fireman74 »

I have a super dexta. My pto keeps jumping out of gear when in use. I tried to put a heavy spring on the lever to keep it from jumping out of gear but that didn't work. I was trying to use my bushhog when this is happening. Could someone please explain what I have to do to fix this problem? Is this a hard job to do if not do anyone have diagram and steps to fixing it. Thanks :scratchhead:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: PTO problem

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

Bensdexta wrote:Have a read of this:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... t=pto+jump
I check out the article. How hard of a job is it? Are there any of repair books that will help with this project? I notice some of the post stated that long shafts on implement will cause this. How can you determine the right length on the shaft for example bush hog.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It is one of the simplest jobs on the tractor. You only have to undo the bolts and the lot comes out. You do need to get the tractor nose down to stop the oil coming out if you do not drain it.

Regarding shaft length, lower the implement with the shaft connected but not assembled. Bring the wo halves of the shaft together side by side and you will see if it bottoms out. Cut off any excess (overlap). Do not cut off too much incase the shaft comes apart when the implement is lifted to full height.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

Brian wrote:It is one of the simplest jobs on the tractor. You only have to undo the bolts and the lot comes out. You do need to get the tractor nose down to stop the oil coming out if you do not drain it.

Regarding shaft length, lower the implement with the shaft connected but not assembled. Bring the wo halves of the shaft together side by side and you will see if it bottoms out. Cut off any excess (overlap). Do not cut off too much incase the shaft comes apart when the implement is lifted to full height.
Ok, what bolts are you talking bout undoing. The bolts that connect the trans to motor or the bolts on top or bolts on the side. Sorry but I'm confuse on which bolts. The other question is what do u mean nose down to stop oil. Are u talking bout the engine or hydraulic?

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

The four bolts around the pto shaft at the back of the tractor.
If you can get the back wheels up, the front wheels down or park it somewhere steep then less oil will come out the back when you pull the shaft out.

I did it today....easy

Rob