plough for a dexta.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

Re: plough for a dexta.

Post by john.n »

I went and bought a 4 furrow ransomes plough today. can't decide if it is a ts 59 or a ts 64 could some one identify the differences?
does the bar at the front that holds the discs destingish between them? the one on this plough is straight.

Regards,
John

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

could you post a photo m8 ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

photos of my ts59 in the implement section
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=6&t=3747

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

not quite a plough for a dexta
Can any one identify what it is?

Regards,
John

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

john.n wrote:not quite a plough for a dexta
Can any one identify what it is?

Regards,
John
It's a stinging nettle :D
Rob

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

The frame looks like a TS59, but the width control on the left side is not as a TS59. Also the crossbeam of the depth control is not all the way across the frame. :scratchhead:
I have a picture of the same plough but the width control is on the right side. :scratchhead:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Brian wrote:Tom has written a good explanation here. The only thing I would disagree with is the depth setting of the skimmers. Skimmers should only take off the surface weed/rubbish so should only be set around 1/2" deep for any depth of furrow, 1" at maximum.

In very dry conditions knives are better than disc coulters as the discs act as wheels and lift the plough out of the ground.

TS82 is way to big for a Dexta, you would need assister rams and many front end weights. An 82 makes my 65 hp Nuffy talk at times and even with weights, I have to use the brakes to steer. We did have one customer who set up a Super Dexta to pull a TS82 with the rams and weights. He had to put the front wheels in the furrow every time to get the clearance to turn it over.

The reversible ploughs for the Dexta are TS 1015 Single furrow, deep digger, hydraulic turnover so needs DAR valve. I have one of these and use it behind Dotty.

The other is TS 1016 two furrow, general purpose with YL bodies, FRDCR bodies and DMD bodies. Again you would need a DAR valve as it is also hydraulic turnover.

There are other makes of plough out there but I do not have information on them.

Dotty also handles 2 - 12" furrows at 8" to 10" deep with ease, both in the heavier, red soil of Herefordshire and the medium and light land here in Norfolk. I use the PM plough with EPIC bodies designed for the E27N and New Major which is a perfect combination, I did fit Agriline lift arms though to enable me to use all my implements.

I do not have wheel weights or ballast and she goes well but I can see times when they might be useful. If I cannot get along by just using the Draft Control either the plough/lift is not set right or conditions are too bad. Dotty has no dif lock and worn tyres too.
Hi Brian,
I have just been sorting out the hydraulics on my Dexta. The biggest thing wrong with it was a worn out pin that runs on the lift arm cam in positional control. The previous owner had removed the bolt from the quadrant to allow the lever to go nearly vertically downwards to get the hydraulics to work at all. That did things no favours at all inside. I have sorted things out but the links were quite rusty and there is still quite a lot of slack and wear in the linkages so I am not sure how well the draft control will work.
That lead me on to the question... do you use draft control all the time or can you get away with positional control well enough? and are there cases where you would chose positional over draft control and vice-versa? I realise if you had an up and down ridged field you might go for using draft control to keep the plough in the ground at about the same depth whether the tractor was going up a lump or down a dip but are there any other reasons? :scratchhead:

Rob

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

nice lookin plough init

love to see a dexta pulling it :beer:

frame does look like a ts 59 i agree but i aint seen many ransomes ( maybe they all look like that )
what r ur plans for it ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The plough could possibly be a Crawford, made out of Ransomes parts but used behind a Track Marshal crawler with an offset linkage. I know Dextas are good pullers but that is taking things to the extreme :yikes: .

Fergusons can pull three furrows and so can a Dexta. It depends on the depth and width of furrow. Remember though that a Ferguson and its plough do not plough in the same class as a Dexta and its plough at many ploughing matches because the Fergy plough is very difficult to get good work from.

Rule of thumb Rob: Position control is for implements above the ground, mowers, sprayers etc. Qualitrol or Draft control is for soil engaging implements, ploughs, cultivators and all implements worked by the Auxiliary Service Chest such as tipping trailers.

Draft control allows an implement to follow the contours of the land and, when required, transfers weight from the implement and engine + front weights onto the rear wheels. Position control holds a constant position so if the front of the tractor drops, the rear of the implement rises. No weight is transferred by the lift in Position Control.

Even when using a depth wheel on the plough, I still have the tractor in Draft control so that I get weight transfer when the going gets tough. The idea is not to lift the plough but to just get enough lift to eliminate wheel spin, the flow control is used to fine tune this.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i wondered if it was a ts 63?
Regards,
John

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

Brian wrote:The plough could possibly be a Crawford, made out of Ransomes parts but used behind a Track Marshal crawler with an offset linkage. I know Dextas are good pullers but that is taking things to the extreme :yikes: .

Fergusons can pull three furrows and so can a Dexta. It depends on the depth and width of furrow. Remember though that a Ferguson and its plough do not plough in the same class as a Dexta and its plough at many ploughing matches because the Fergy plough is very difficult to get good work from.

Rule of thumb Rob: Position control is for implements above the ground, mowers, sprayers etc. Qualitrol or Draft control is for soil engaging implements, ploughs, cultivators and all implements worked by the Auxiliary Service Chest such as tipping trailers.

Draft control allows an implement to follow the contours of the land and, when required, transfers weight from the implement and engine + front weights onto the rear wheels. Position control holds a constant position so if the front of the tractor drops, the rear of the implement rises. No weight is transferred by the lift in Position Control.

Even when using a depth wheel on the plough, I still have the tractor in Draft control so that I get weight transfer when the going gets tough. The idea is not to lift the plough but to just get enough lift to eliminate wheel spin, the flow control is used to fine tune this.
Thanks Brian,
I think my draft control setup will work. I have the linkages adjusted now so that it has a couple of inches of movement on the quadrant for lifting the implement up and the rest of the quadrant is a variable force on the top link to get the valve to lift the arms. I have it connected to compressed air on the bench and the positional control works fine and the lifting section at the top of the quadrant in draft control works fine. The problem I have is checking that the draft control works on the bench is a bit difficult as pushing the top link rod even without the big spring is a fair force and very much guesswork. I will blather all the internal links in dollops of grease and reasemble it and give it a go. :wink:
Rob

henk

Post by henk »

John is right. It is a TS 63. The crossbeam of the depth wheel is half over the frame because it's a 4 furrow plough.
Don't know about the body's though.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I