solinoid or starter?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

solinoid or starter?

Post by MarksDexta »

When I go to start my 61 Dexta, I just get a single "click". First thought was low battery. I've charge and confirmed full charge and have tried to jump it, still only a single click. The wiring is in desperate need of replacement, but my thoughts are leaning towards the solinoid. Many (unfortunately too many) years ago in high school auto shop, we were shown how to bypass the solinoid. I don't recall exactly, and I'm afraid if I try, I'll by out purchasing a solinoid, starter, and new harness. Any suggestions on testing either the solinoid or starter?

Nick
True Blue

Re: solinoid or starter?

Post by Nick »

Have you checked you have a decent earth?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

To bypass the solenoid put a screwdriver or something temporarily across the two terminals on the solenoid.

I must stress BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE THAT THE TRACTOR IS OUT OF GEAR BEFORE DOING THIS!
Mark

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Nick, yes, good ground on all the connections.

Marcusgs, That is what I'm looking for, but which two terminals? I'm assuming the two larger ones?

Thanks!
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Go between the large terminal from the battery and the switch terminal. You are not so likely to burn the terminals and melt your screwdriver! :cry:

Use a very big metal object to bridge the two large terminals if you really have to, and be prepared for lots of sparks. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

you're basically welding :beer:

i knew a farmer did this for months with his tractor , he used a coin from his pocket , silly man , used to get hot and burn him :buddies:

will prove if its the solinoid tho wont it .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.