Engine Block

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Engine Block

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi All,

I have a question that may not go down too well here, but I have a nasty crack in my block and its getting worse! That is on my 62 Super Dexta.
I have been offered a practically new block which was bought for a 35, and the lad with the block has told me they are the exact same, is this true can anyone confirm or is it possible to use the block on my tractor as I cannot afford to purchase a new block and ancillaries to fix the tractor as things are.

Thanks
Niall
I don’t know what I am doing!

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: Engine Block

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

In a way, yes the block is the same. It's the rear main bearing cap thats the problem. You can not just swap the Main cap of your old block because the caps are line bored. If it is a lip seal i dont know how you go about it but with a rope seal you can remove metal from the cap so the Dexta oil sump will fit. You may also have to make blank off plates for the fuel pump and rev counter openings on the MF block.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Engine Block

Post by Jerry Coles »

I had this problem when I bought a Dexta/35 block from A.......ne. Nothing to tell me what had to be done to make it a Dexta engine to take a Dexta sump. A not very helpful MD there whom I spoke to either. Offered me a basic refund after all the work on the top of the engine (fitting head, cover plates and gaskets) plus time spent and the cost of posting etc. Basically as yorkshireman says make blanking plates for the tacho drive and Fuel pump holes. I also plugged the oil hole by the tach drive access. The rear main bearing cap is a pig! You have to take off quite a lot of metal to get the Dexta sump to fit and as it weighs 25kg+ continually lifting off and on was an effort. I used a load of paper tape on the cap to witness where the fouling was and ground down the high spots and took a lot of time removing all the loose metal etc from inside the block. There are a couple of oil gallery plugs that may need plugging down at the front.
All said after the effort its in and running fine.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's