halfshaft oil seal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
snowman
Not Quite Blue Yet

halfshaft oil seal

Post by snowman »

hi can anyone tell me how to replace the seals do i have to drill / break off the ring before the large lock nut if so where do i obtain a new one thanks

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: halfshaft oil seal

Post by Tubal Cain »

On the early Dextas' the halfshaft bearings were secured by a shrunk on ring, which you have to drill then split with a chisel to remove.
The later tractors were fitted with a nyloc nut in place of the ring for which you require a 2.3/4" AF spanner.

Both the rings and the nuts are available from the variuos spare parts suppliers, as are the seals.

You may well find that you require some form of pulling gear to draw the bearing off the shaft in order to change the seal.

Gerald

snowman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by snowman »

thanks for repling looked at agriline and cant see the nut or the ring any idea where to locate them please thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

"Spit" Your local MF dealer has them in stock "Spit" :mrgreen:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Agriline stock both the nut and the collar.

Halfshaft nut Pt No. 5993

Halfshaft Collar Pt No 5813

Gerald

snowman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by snowman »

thanks ordered them bearing was a pain to remove without a press :!:

snowman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by snowman »

parts came this morn {thanks agriline} just fitted got 2 brakes now :)

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Just took my half shafts out on my 1963 super dexta, oils seals have gone and the bearings feel as baggy as a wizard's sleeve.

Somebody has had a go at the 2 3/4" AF nyloc nuts with a chisel, not sure if they were succesful in getting them on or off.

I've got new bearings and inner and outer seals. My first port of call to get the little tinkers off will be my local agricultural engineer, if he has the tool he'll do it for less than the price of the slogging spanner - which is well over 50 quid by the time you add on VAT and P+P.

If he can't do it then I'll get a hex hole cut out of a disk of steel plate and weld it into the end of a tube that will go over the half shaft and then weld a big bolt onto the other end so I can get a socket and bar and a (big!) torque wrench when replacing it. A bit like the picture in the workshop manual. If I do it this way I may be able to loan it out in return for parts or beer :D

Unless there's a better method...
Here's a pic of the nut with chisel marks

Cheers
Andy

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Andy

I like your thinking on making up your own wrench, very creative. 8)

Mervyn

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Thanks Mervyn

Looks like my local Agri engineer has it covered - he's of the old school so used to play with Dexta's when they were relatively new. Pity as I was looking forward to making the tool, gave me an excue to buy the MIG welder - I have a full (pub) sized CO2 bottle that I use for carbonating my home brew beer so i was a quarter of the way there :beer:

Cheers
Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Now collected fixed halfshafts from Jim Fielden's of Burnley Road, Todmorden. :D

He's replaced the outer seals and bearings and put new nuts on seeing as somebody had previously attempt to take the nuts off with a chisel.

He happened to have a Super Dexta in for repair - looked in good farm condition. evidently dumping engine oil into the bell housing. We had a long conversation about this as I will be fixing my engine seals before I put her back together again. He sounds like a good source of advice - and he has some parts in stock.