Oil spraying everywhere....

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
DextaDrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil spraying everywhere....

Post by DextaDrew »

I have just changed the engine oil for the first time on my 1959 Dexta. I noticed when removing the filter housing there was no gasket. The new filter came with a gasket so I fitted it. I went out for a run, perhaps three or four miles, it behaved perfectly as always. I was just pulling into my drive when all hell broke loose, all of a sudden oil started spraying everywhere, loads of the stuff and at high pressure. I cut the engine as soon as I was off the road, by which time it had made quite a mess. I very briefly restarted it to see exactly where the oil was coming from and it was indeed from the top of the filter housing. Clearly the gasket has failed (an assumption - I haven't investigated yet, spent so long clearing up it's now dark.) Is this why there was no gasket when I removed the old filter? Do these gaskets often fail in such dramatic fashion?
Sylvester the 'Estate Tractor' - a 1959 Dexta with turf tyres and no hydraulics...

conar22
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Oil spraying everywhere....

Post by conar22 »

Are you sure there wasnt the remains of an old rubber seal up in the groove where the seal locates into? I had the same problem once....luckily I spotted the oil leaking just as the engine fired up.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I often have trouble with the cartridge style filters both in fuel and oil. I guess its just the age I grew up in. All the tractors and trucks we serviced growing up had spin on filters. I converted my super dex over to a spin on and its no mess no fuss.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Massey-Spi ... 1e6e7f62e6

you will need 1/2 inch shorter bolts when mounting the adaptor....

dave
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I have had this problem twice when I have changed oil filters in recent years. In my case I found that the problem was due to the rubber seals supplied with the filter being too narrow and being a sloppy fit in the seal groove. Even when the filter was torqued up correctly I found that once the engine had run for 10 to 15 minutes the oil pressures caused the seal to pop out of the groove(half way to a local ploughing match!!!). I refitted the seal several times and even fitted another seal from another filter but it still popped out, In the end I used a seal from a fuel filter kit as this fitted snuggly in the groove. I haven't had a problem since.

Someone told me that there used to be two seals supplied with each oil filter so that you could fit the correct seal for the oil filter housing on your machine. However they only seem to supply the narrow one with the filters I have bought recently.

Next time I change the filter I am going to leave the old seal in place unless it shows obviouis signs of damage.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

DextaDrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DextaDrew »

Thank you very much for the replies, it's given me something to go on. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend.....
Sylvester the 'Estate Tractor' - a 1959 Dexta with turf tyres and no hydraulics...

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

when you fit a new seal, always give a rub of oil on each side of the seal with your finger, this gives you a better seal. :buddies:

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

The spin on filter adapter looks to be an excellent investment. The next time I need an oil change I think that's the route I'm going.
Thanks for the suggestion
Chris

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Chris,
Put a spin on kit on mine. Works great. Only issue was .When I went to install it, one of the bolts had too much shoulder and wouldn't tighten up. Had to run to the hardware and get one that fit.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks Bill, I'll watch for that.
Chris