Hydrolics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
RayHaak
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydrolics

Post by RayHaak »

Hi I have a very old one and have this problem with the lift. If I drive on a flat horizontal part my lift will go up as it should. But when I drive up hill the lift does not go up. I have filled up the oil level but cannot see any indicator of the level and how much oil it should have. Is there any simple answer for this problem?

Dextrous
True Blue

Re: Hydrolics

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Ray

There is a level plug near the PTO lever on the left hand side that you can take out - the rear axle should be filled up to this point. From memory it has a square head not a hex so should be easy to spot, however I could be wrong. I'm away from my tractor at the moment so can't post a picture or check it.

Cheers
Andy

stugreen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by stugreen »

Yes it is a square headed bolt on the hydraulic pump side!
1958 Fordson Dexta Standard Drive
252YUH
1959 Fordson Dexta Live Drive
Yet to find its number plate :(

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

stugreen wrote:Yes it is a square headed bolt on the hydraulic pump side!
Are you sure about that Stu ? I think its the one just above left of the PTO selector shaft as seen below, I forgot I uploaded this to photobucket :D

Here's another shot, you can just see it to the left of the PTO lever- however the image is truncated, may have to view the image by right clicking on it depending what browser and resolution you have.

Cheers
Andy

stugreen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by stugreen »

My mistake you are correct I was getting confused with gear box
1958 Fordson Dexta Standard Drive
252YUH
1959 Fordson Dexta Live Drive
Yet to find its number plate :(

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

No problem Stu - I was beginning to think that maybe the plug was in different locations on different models/years as I couldn't find it on the parts list :)

RayHaak
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Hydraulics

Post by RayHaak »

Hi Thanks for all the replies first of all.
I am a newby on this forum but are pleasantly surprised.
What I have done now is removed all the old oil and yes it was not 13 liters and refilled the gearbox with fresh oil up to the advised level.
Unfortunately the lift still does not go up when I am going up hill. I do not yet have the original manual for this tractor but have the parts book and the hydraulics manual for it. My next step will be to replace the O ring of the main plunger although when the lift is up and i leave it there it does only slowly as in 20 minutes go down so the O ring should still be sort of fine.It could also have to do with the qualitol?? Maybe there is some one there that had the same happening?
CRayHaakeers for now

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Ray

I haven't got to the lift part of the restoration part, at least not the fault finding part but I'll be replacing worn parts along the way so may avoid some of the problems. However there is a wealth of information in previous posts so if you don't get a reply from somebody who can put their finger on it I would use the search facility on the Dexta page.
If you have the hydraulic top off I would look at your position control stop pin wear as shown in this picture as it seems to the be the root cause of many ills.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 571#p31928

Cheers
Andy