Gearbox split

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Gearbox split

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi All,

I am deep in the middle of my little super dexta, I split the tractor and replaced the rope seal along with the paper gasket, I also intend to replace the 3 bolts on the fingers on the pressure plate, however someone has welded them in before, do you know is it possible to replace these fingers and not the entire pressure plate?

next is the input shaft into the gearbox is very lose, it has very free play in all directions when you Wiggle it!
I am told this is very bad and that I need to replace the input shaft bearing, to do this I was removing the bell housing. when you look into the bell housing from the engine side, the input shaft is facing you, there are 2 plates looking back out at you, I removed these 2 plates and I was left with the input shaft and then the secondary shaft below it with a large cone shaped collar on it.
Now I am moving into very unfamiliar territory here, do I remove this collar as it looks like the bell housing will not come free from the tractor until I remove this collar!
I don’t know what I am doing!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Gearbox split

Post by Tubal Cain »

You will definitely have to remove the cone to remove the bell housing. However I can't remember if you have to split the gearbox from the rear axle and remove the counter shaft.

The movement in the input shaft may be due to wear of the needle bearing located in the end of the shaft.

Gerald