oil seal on dexta rear axle

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

oil seal on dexta rear axle

Post by spike »

when i had the left side on jack oil was leaking out of brake drum on right, all brake drum soaked in oil so i guess oil seal has gone,
it did leak when i 1st got it but i think the guy had over filled the axle to use a post knocker (just a guess) but stopped leaking when i changed the oil and filled to correct level

ok how hard would it be to change the seal, i guess i have to undo the 10 nuts behind the back plate the if i remember right hit it in middle with large hammer and it pops out, its after that i dont know the best and simplest way, the shims i need to keep safe but do i need any special tools other than my Birmingham screwdriver and a swear tin.

i will only need to change the bearing if excess play, no need to do it just because the shaft is out or will i need to remove bearing to replace seal ?

flat land only use with topper of rear forks dont drive on road, used it with out brakes for a year i am thinking may be leave it till next year and buy a anchor.

sorry i do go on a little
its a working dexta no need to be show condition just do its job.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: oil seal on dexta rear axle

Post by Brian »

It is not a bad job but you will need to possibly split off the bearing retainer if you do not have a half shaft with a large nut, then press off the bearing to get to the seal. There is also a second seal in the axle trumpet housing.

Note: Do not buy your new bearing retainer from C/NH, get one from your M-F Dealer for the early M-F 35. There used to be a huge saving and it is the same retainer.

The retainer has to be hot when you put it back on.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: oil seal on dexta rear axle

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Absolutely, Brian. Drill and split the old retainer but the press was the key to remove the bearing and reinstalling things. Father in law as an ex-engineer delighted in the job and corrected the end float even making some new shims for me!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.