Compression Test

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Manta356
Not Quite Blue Yet

Compression Test

Post by Manta356 »

Done a Quick Compression Test on a Standard Dexta. I Got 290 on no1 Cyl and 300 each on no’s 2 & 3. I Know the Manual States that the Engine Should be Up to Temperature when doing it but I had the Injectors Out and Done it On a Cold Engine
Is that a bit Light or would it be ok for a Tractor for Light Work. I will be Removing the Engine to fit Gaskets anyway as I’m going to Paint it so maybe I’ll have a better idea of Engine Condition when I get the head off. Oil pressure is around 25 psi when Up to Temperature

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Compression Test

Post by Billy26F5 »

25 psi is a bit low, should be 40. The compression seems all right, but all cylinders should be far more similar to each other.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Manta356
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Manta356 »

Redone the Compression test Today with the throttle open with the same results.
I then put a Little oil in the Cylinders and got 380 in 1 and 400 in the other Two.
So will have to check the liners,pistons and Rings when I get it Out.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

This looks quite like the situation I was in. Low oil pressure and low compression. I ended up with fitting new bearing shells. Was lucky to have the diameter of the crank within specs. Pressed out the old liners and had a grove made in the block so new finished liners with flange could be pressed in. After all a not too bad job with reasonable costs. I ended up with a good starting, nice running tractor with good oil pressure.

Depending on where you're located parts for these engines are really affordable and then a rebuilt is cheaper then finding a tractor with a healthier engine.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1948, E27N 1950, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Manta356
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Manta356 »

Depending on where you're located parts for these engines are really affordable and then a rebuilt is cheaper then finding a tractor with a healthier engine.
[/quote]

I'm Based in Ireland so Plenty Suppliers To Choose From. :clap: