Length of Fordson Dexta clutch adjustment rod

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pat777
True Blue

Length of Fordson Dexta clutch adjustment rod

Post by pat777 »

So at some stage my Dexta clutch adjustment rod has been cut and welded and is now the wrong length. So from the u shaped end with the bolt through it to the end of the threaded rod on mine is currently around 78.5 cm (there is a bit of a bend in the rod).

At the time I got the tractor the clutch adjustment rod had been previously badly welded so if I remember rightly I cut out a section and rewelded it.

Anyway I've run out of adjustment on the threaded end now, so I figured I had better shorten the rod a bit and try to get the clutch pedal in the correct position I figured I may as well try and get the clutch adjustment rod the correct length, if someone can help me out please.

When I got the tractor originally I had visited a tractor breakers yard to try and pick one up but all of the clutch adjustment rods there had been cut in half for splitting the tractors for parts(quicker to use the angle grinder than pushing out the bolt I suppose!)

So I'm looking for the length from the u shaped end with the bolt through it to the end of the threaded rod please.

Here is a link to one for sale at the moment showing a few images of the rod I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224097185161

Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Length of Fordson Dexta clutch adjustment rod

Post by Billy26F5 »

The rod is 31 9/16" from the hole centre in the fixed clevis to the end of the thread for the adjustable clevis. If that is longer than what you have now your clutch needs attention, and you'll need to get it out to sort it.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks for the reply Sandy, So my clutch adjustment rod is currently too short.

31 9/16 Inch

31.5625 Inches = 80.16875 Centimetres

I forgot to mention that I have had the clutch apart before due to a malfunction. I ended up having to bodge it back together and I had to adjust the release lever adjustment screws because they were no longer set in place at the factory setting. I ended up setting them up using nuts to lock them in position, (the same way the Massey Ferguson 135 clutch fingers are factory set). Nobody was able to give me any information about the factory setting of the clutch release lever adjustment screws before.

So I had them set up even and then because they clearly were not set to factory setting measurement the clutch pedal was no longer working correctly so I had to mount a lump of steel on the footplate under the pedal to stop the clutch pedal going too far.

I will have to take another look at things. Thanks for the information about the proper length of the clutch adjustment rod.

This is a link to the thread where I was asking about the clutch release lever finger adjustment...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5945

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Here is a video clip of someone setting up a clutch on a 135, just to give an idea of what I had to do when I was setting up my clutch fingers with the nuts to lock the bolts in place. The standard dexta single clutch does not have any nuts to lock the bolts in place. (I think they were welded when factory set)

https://youtu.be/AZoe6RGbDl0?t=1923

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Look at this one, it's a Major, but the single clutch is the same basic design (if someone knows that Dextas were set at different clearances please say so), the main difference being the nine springs. Try it to the clearances here and see if it works ok, if it doesn't remember what you did and adjust it a bit at a time until it works properly. Measure the clearances too, so that we know what the clearance is for a Dexta if the Major clearance doesn't do it.
http://www.fordson.se/8_Magnet_dimensio ... 25-247.pdf last two pages
http://www.fordson.se/4A_Koppling_Suple ... 01-016.pdf first part
Don't do any hard work until it works properly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Sandy, It was a long time ago now when I adjusted the clutch. It has been working fine for the last few years, it's just I have ran out of adjustment due to having reached the end of the threaded section on the clutch adjustment rod, but this can possibly be rectified by making adjustments to the length of the rod and reducing the size of the piece of metal that I have bolted to the footplate underneath the clutch pedal to give me more adjustment with the threaded rod.

Thanks for the information regarding the possible similarities between the major and the dexta clutch adjustment measurements.

http://www.fordson.se/8_Magnet_dimensio ... 25-247.pdf

With reference to Fig. 278 Adjusting the Clutch Pressure Plate
Adjust the release lever adjusting screws, using a depth
gauge as shown in Fig. 278, so that a dimension of
1.769 ins. to 1.831 ins. (44.93 to 46.50 mm.) exists
between the top of the adjusting screw and the top
face of the gauge block. It is important that the thret
levers are adjusted in plane within 0.015 in. (0.38 mm.)

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You shouldn't need your bit of metal, remove it for the test and be careful. Adjust it to the larger clearance to ensure long life within tolerance.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Sandy, I'll give that a go, sure when I push the clutch down with my hand with the engine off, I can hear when the thrust bearing is hitting off the fingers bolt heads, so that will give me some idea of the adjustment required. I often thought a viewing window would be a good idea on a bell housing for seeing what's going on inside the clutch housing. I don't think I'll volunteer to be the first to get the angle grinder out!

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

Hello all!

I have Super Dexta with double clutch. Yesterday I measured the lenght of rod and it is ~78,5 cm. I did clutch overhaul and looks like need to shorten rod length, or maybe make longer thread to adjust clutch.

BR: Ilkka

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you're needing more adjustment you'll need to fix the clutch, as it means that the adjusting screws are not adjusted properly. If anyone has the correct sizes from the adjusting tools please post the measurement.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

Looks like I have bought wrong size of release bearing. The original bearing was 28,45 mm lenght and the new one is 22 mm. Is this kind of difference possible to adjust by rod?

BR Ilkka

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Unfortunately no, you'll need the correct bearing.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Brian wrote some years ago he had difficulties getting the proper release bearing. The correct size was not available and he ended up making a special spacer between the bearing and the release mechanism.

I hope you’ve more luck with finding parts, but otherwise try to find this post on this board for more details.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Unfortunately no, you'll need the correct bearing.
Sandy
But for what reason I need correct lenght of bearing? If I just compensate the difference ~ 8 mm by extending the thread of rod.

BR Ilkka

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The thin bearing won't take the strain, unless you do Brian's fix with the spacer. You need the rod pretty close to full length on new parts if possible (with correct free play of 3/4").
Sandy
ImageImageImage

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

What might be the correct part number for the dual clutch bearing? I think here in Finland it is not available. Persons in local forum says that it is possible to adjust it by rod and, but?

BR Ilkka

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Look for 957E-7548B.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

We compare thw old and new bearings with local dealer. Looks like old one have some kind of "projection" and new is just flatten. Difference 6,5 mm came from this "projection". Dealer said that old style of bearing is not available and they recommended to adjust this missing 6,5 mm by the rod. Also dealer said that it will strain. What shoud I do? You can find the picture of original bearing there: https://aijaa.com/YnkfsG

BR Ilkka

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi, according to an old post on here by Brian the hub will protrude through the narrow bearing, hitting the adjuster buttons before the bearing does, he explains how he overcame this. Sorry, don't know how to link to posts as i'm useless with computers but if you search for 'Dexta live drive warning' and click on Brian's post it should take you there
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Make a spacer to fill the gap, the bearing should be flush with the hub.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Here is the link to "Brian's" post "Dexta Live Clutch Warning"...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5157

Here is the first post from that topic, further information available at the above link...
Brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm
Fitting a new live clutch to Dotty is not a hard job as I have done these many times over the years. I always recommend that, at the same time as a clutch is fitted the thrust and pilot bearings at least should be replaced. This is where the problems started on Dotty.

I got a new clutch and bearings from Malcolm Hipperson which, according to the parts book, (and other aftermarket parts suppliers which I subsequently checked), were correct for the live drive tractor.

When I came to install the thrust bearing I noticed that the new bearing was a lot slimmer than the one I was replacing. Putting this down to redesign I went ahead and fitted it onto the hub but, once on, it did not look correct at all, the hub protruded through the front of the bearing beyond the bearing thrust surface.

I placed the bearing/hub assembly on the forks of the new clutch and discovered that I could spin the bearing without it touching the thrust surface, the fingers rested on the inner race of the bearing not on the thrust bearing surface. If it had been fitted the fork adjustments would have been worn off or the hub itself would have worn away.

The new bearing did not have the thick thrust surface that covers the front of the hub, it was a thrust bearing for a Ford 3000 that has a totally different thrust finger set up.

I took it back to Malcolm and he got straight on to the supplier who says “Yes, we know about the problem but cannot get a bearing to meet the original specification”!! :cry: I suppose they are happy to sell many more live clutches after the thrust surfaces have been worn away by the wrong bearing. :scratchhead:

Malcolm was very apologetic and helpful, he found me a bearing with a thrust surface and although it is narrower than the original, I can fit a 2mm spacer behind it on the hub to bring it out to the same position as the original.

It is highly likely that other suppliers are supplying the wrong thrust bearings with their clutches believing it is the same as the 2/3000 so please check closely when fitting a new clutch assembly.

The old bearing with its thrust surface.

Check the thickness of the thrust surface, this covers the end of the hub.

Note the difference in the thickness of the new and old bearings.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks like Ilkka has exactly the same problem as Brian did. I find it difficult to understand why aftermarket suppliers can't get parts right first time, as it would be much easier and closer to original than what they do.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Was reading somewhere that its the Ford 3000 thrust bearing being sold for the Dexta, assuming (wrongly by the look of it) that the adjustment rod will take up the slack
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's what Brian said, and he knew both bearings well (unlike me).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

IlkkaV
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by IlkkaV »

Result can be seen there: https://aijaa.com/KKlnuO and https://aijaa.com/YHS87i. So it did not last even two hours test run. Bearing was totally damaged and adjusting nuts were almost totally worn out. Wery sad thing for me to hit my head for every place...

Br Ilkka