Looking for a new or used atomizer

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
PghBill
True Blue

Looking for a new or used atomizer

Post by PghBill »

Working on my recently purchased 62 Super Dexta. Replaced the fuel tap/ primer but the atomizer is missing out of the intake manifold.
Anyone out there have a used one for sale? Or maybe direct me to a place where I can purchase a new one ? I've been all over the internet with no luck :cry:

blue32
True Blue

Re: Looking for a new or used atomizer

Post by blue32 »

hi, a new one is best for your Dexta...Look at Agriline.ltd, on Fordson, and so on Dexta. :wink:

blue32

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

After a whole lot more searching, and cruising several forums, I found the current part number and it still available from New Holland. Wouldn't ya think New Holland would convert original part numbers to current numbers? :roll:

blue32
True Blue

Post by blue32 »

Mybee it is just equal for both tractor,s...anyvay I do not think New Holland make some atomizer who fit especially to Dexta?

blue32

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

PghBill wrote:After a whole lot more searching, and cruising several forums, I found the current part number and it still available from New Holland. Wouldn't ya think New Holland would convert original part numbers to current numbers? :roll:
They do :wink:
Go to >vugot.com, >fordson (County), >parts&service, >Dexta and the latest pn's are there.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

I have restored a super dexta 1962 and only have afuel tap without primer, even in frosty weather never had to use atomiser,just a little heat from the heater plug :D

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

This old girl wouldn't fire without a sniff of the dreaded either!
Put a new fuel tap in it when I bought it. Hooked it up to the fitting in the intake,(which was capped off ) but made the engine seem like it was loading up. Further investigation revealed the fitting wasn't an atomizer and the vacuum was sucking fuel out of the tap causing it to load up.
Have a new heater to install. In the process of tearing the engine down now. Might as well make it like it was meant to be.

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Update:
Took the parts list that I printed out from the New Holland web Site to my local dealer and was informed that the atomizer NH part# E414CL9 is no longer available :cry: checked out Bensdexta"s recommended site with no luck.
Back to square one :curse: Help !!!!!

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Anyone got a picture of this part in question?
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Found one on Agriline! But according to the Fordson Parts list it was made for the Domestic Dexta (sold in England) And it has a handle on it like a valve. The atomizer on the Export models was straight and had a ball and spring inside to stop gravity flow from the fuel tap.
Guess I might have go with what I can find. :eyes:

gekenny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta Atomizer and Fuel Tap/Jet ( domestic type ) Looking for a new or used atomizer

Post by gekenny »

Can anyone please advise if Dexta Air Inlet Manifold heater Fuel Tap/Jet ( domestic type ) really provides a Jet spray when the Finger press button beneath the fuel tank is pressed ? Does it give a jet spray or is it just a brass On/Off flow tap. I can get one from UK if it is what I need.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

My Dexta had the ‘ball with a spring’ fitting originally. It leaked diesel into the sump while parked, and was replaced years ago with the on/off brass tap fitting. Yes, it puts out a jet of fuel when the primer is pressed.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The on/off tap was a British requirement from 1962, other places kept the ball and spring (that's what Davie has). I think if you have a Dexta sold in Britain from 1962 it was legally necessary (I'll check a service letter tommorrow). Both have the same effect, so get what you need for your Dexta, if you get the tap ensure it's only on when starting to avoid fuel ousing in.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

gekenny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gekenny »

Thanks for the real fast replys Old Hywel and Billy26F5.
I have 2 more related questions:
Q1: I cant find a picture showing how one connects the pipe comming from the tank underside finger press push button
to that domestic tap/jet.
I know the pipe will screw onto the TAP/Jet threads, thread size will be ok, but i think id have to bend the pipe
pretty sharply, near to 90 degrees, so the final solution fits under the dexta top hood.
Any suggestions or will it fit ie its possible to bend the pipe enough but not fold it closed / damaged ?
Or do I need more hardware, eg a right angle fitting which has a female receptacle (to connect to tap's male)
and a male end on the other side(to connect to the supply pipe female ?
Q2: Last weekend I installed a new under tank Finger press Pump tap. This to help with Winter cold start. Old one was not a press type.
To my surprise it allows a constant trickle of fuel into the air manifold even when the finger pushbutton
is not pressed. I hadnt expected this. Do you know if this is normal operation ?
Or, should it only pass fuel when the finger press button is pressed.
I expected the latter and expected one would only need an inline tap as backup should the pushbutton supply start to leak and allow a constant flow of fuel to the air intake.

I ask because I got caught out as I connected everything up and put some fuel in the tank.
The fuel accumulated in the air inlet manifold and went into the cylinder and the Dexta would not start, wouldnt turnover.
To solve I had to remove the air manifold as was full of fuel, removed the injectors to release the pressure as the middle cylinder
had filled with fuel too, then carefully manually cranked the tractor over a few turns by hand from the front to flush the
fuel out of the cylinders. Then turned the dexta over a few more times by hand, cleaned the injectors and seats, installed
a new fuel filter, bled air and luckily it cranked over ok and then started ok. A lot of work for a small mistake. And an anxious time as I hoped I hadn't done any more major damage. ! Live and learn !

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

That’s why the tap’s necessary. If left for any length of time, diesel will also get past the rings and start to dilute the sump oil.

As long as the fuel level is below the jet on the inlet manifold you should be ok, or simply turn off the fuel tap while parked up.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's the Service letter.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

gekenny
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gekenny »

Thanks, very clear and also I see the pipe to the Tap has a very sharp bend.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Model engineers use salt to bend small copper pipes, blank off the end nearest the bend, fill the pipe with salt and tap the end on the bench to pack it tight then bend it, the salt should stop the pipe deforming. I've never tried it so don't blame me if it doesn't work!
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I have seen it done with ice too, don't cool it down too much to avoid it breaking.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I made my own, from bits of brass silver soldered together with copper tube, it had a small hole Probably about 0.8mm and a slot cut with a junior hacksaw. I will post a picture if I can remember how?
I found that a rough spray will ignite if it is directed towards the hot coil, but a single smooth jet can easily pass between the hot turns and be wasted. I think the finer the mist the easier it will ignite with a less direction.

When working copper it is necessary to heat to red hot and then quench to soften it, it should then bend easily, but as soon as you have bent it will work harden again, anneal again if you want more bending.

Regards
Ian

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

ImageImageImage

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

ianpdexta wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:58 pm
I made my own, from bits of brass silver soldered together with copper tube, it had a small hole Probably about 0.8mm and a slot cut with a junior hacksaw. I will post a picture if I can remember how?
I found that a rough spray will ignite if it is directed towards the hot coil, but a single smooth jet can easily pass between the hot turns and be wasted. I think the finer the mist the easier it will ignite with a less direction.

When working copper it is necessary to heat to red hot and then quench to soften it, it should then bend easily, but as soon as you have bent it will work harden again, anneal again if you want more bending.

Regards
Ian
From one of my previous posts:
" That leads me to another thought, it seems like you need 3 hands when using the cold start heater button, primer pump and starter lever.
Ian,
My Super came with no atomizer or tap and a burned out heater. I solved the "3 hand problem" by installing a manifold heater from a Fergy operated by a 12 volt 30 second time delay relay. Push the heater button and your heater stays on for 30 seconds. Easy to wire.This frees up your hands to operate the primer and starter. This heater is thermally operated. Opens to let fuel pass thru when it gets hot and shuts off fuel when it cools. Fits right in. Cost about $20.00 in the U.S. Relay cost me about $10.00.
Bill
Just google the part number below
Heater Plug, Fuel. For tractors with Standard Motors 23c diesel engine.
Application: Ferguson TO35, FE35.
OEM # 1021910M91

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The trick is to operate the heater and primer with both hands and use your thumb on the heater for a smooth starter run, once turning press the primer a couple of times and you should get running within one turn of the engine or so. If you have the excess fuel button (I think only minimec's have it on Dexta's) use it, it will help lots in cold conditions. It works well on Davie.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

On my dexta the "Finger press Pump tap" diaphragm failed and caused my engine to overspeed. Luckily I manage to shut the fuel off before any major damage occurred. The other risk of this diaphragm leaking is over time a cylinder can fill with fuel and your engine will hydraulic when turned over. I converted my system to the similar to a MF 35 /135 and it starts perfectly. All I have to do is hold the heater on for a while and away she goes. I also fitted a new lift pump and now she starts even better.

Its not original, but it works and I don't run the risk of damaging the engine through overspeed now
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I suffered badly from the preheat system syphoning fuel into the cylinder head and then into the sump, so I removed the atomiser pump and blanked off the manifold inlet. I've had no problems since but I don't use the tractor much in Winter so I don't know how well she'll fire up without the atomiser and heater on a very cold morning. There is a mod you can do but I haven't tried it yet https://old20tractorparts.com/dexta/297 ... 10206.html
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed