Converting generator to alternator.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Converting generator to alternator.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Folk,
Can anyone share the details of the bracket required to fit an alternator on my Dexta please. I did see a photograph of a very simple bracket that a member from Finland posted by the name of "Broadspeed" dating back a long time to 02 March 2013 at 7:40pm. His topic was Dexta 60 page 10 or 11. I'm hoping the member is still around and he could post some measurements for us who want to convert to an alternator. Also which alternator is suitable please.
Mervyn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Converting generator to alternator.

Post by Billy26F5 »

I've just seen that post, but I'm afraid I can't really help much as I would prefer to keep the dynamo (you don't need to deviate from the Ford manual, which gives plenty of information for a complete repair of both the dynamo and the regulator, and it stays original), but from memory I think the Lucas 18 ACR (as found on Mr. MacGregor) is roughly 1" shorter than the Lucas dynamo (C39 or C40), I don't know if leaving the front mounting where it is would preserve the pulley alignment (which is of course essential).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Sandy.
Let me explain my reason to convert. At the beginning of this year I had an auto electrician wire up my tractor for me, the generator was putting out a charge, extinguishing the green gen light, that worked fine for a couple of weeks. I had the tractor taken to our tractor club 100km away as I had moved into a retirement village. My next visit to the club I noticed that the gen light would stay on after starting the tractor and after testing the generator for charge all was charging. Now I'M told that the regulator is faulty(metal case type) and unfortunately they are not available in my country. To import one would be more expensive than buying a universal alternator here at home and fitting it. :scratchhead:

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I did the conversion some years ago, bought an ex-Mini car alternator and my retired engineer father in law made the bracket to my specs, pretty much I just held it where it needed to fit for the fan belt and measured to suit! I could remove it and have a measure up on the weekend if you like - I just don't know that all the alternators were the same though.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Kiwiland that is so kind of you to go that extra mile to removing your alternator bracket to take measurements, that would really be appreciated if it is not too much of a hassle. You are correct alternators do come in all sorts of dimensions just to get some sort of an idea of a bracket would be perfect thanks. :beer:
Many thanks Mervyn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:02 pm
Now I'M told that the regulator is faulty(metal case type) and unfortunately they are not available in my country. To import one would be more expensive than buying a universal alternator here at home and fitting it. :scratchhead:
I see what you mean, the JCB 3CII manual actually opens these regulators up, so you could if you wanted have a look at that (I'm sorry but I can't send it to you as it's not handy at the moment - not at home - and it would need scanning anyway), with that and the Ford instructions you should manage to fix it, there might even be a Lucas manual I don't know about that is even better.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you Sandy,
I will look them up.
Mervyn.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Here you go, hope it makes sense!
First image - you can see I had to pack both sides out to line up with the fan-belt pulley. Some adjustment to design would make this unneccesary

Second image - detail of bolts and packing. Pretty rudimentary but it works. bolts are 8mm and 12mm that match the alternator mount holes.

3rd image, I had to grind a small amount of metal off the alternator because it was hitting the stud in the block. If I had 5mm more clearance from block to alternator bolts it would not be necessary!

4th image - the squarer end is the LHS, I had to taper off the RHS to avoid contacting the alternator body

If you want any more pictures or measurements, happy to help.
Derek.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Derek,
You are such a star, thank you ever so much for all the photos and the fact that you had to strip your alternator off the Dexta. I now at least have an idea what I have manufacture. I will now shop around and see if I can find an alternator with a broadish attachment at the top. I have seen a couple on the internet but will have to see what's available here in South Africa.
Maybe a silly question but do you think an alternator for the Ford 1000 series and Ford 2610 series would be suitable/adaptable?
Many thanks again Derek. :clap:
Kind regards
Mervyn.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

No problem at all!
I am no great expert on electrics but what I got was a Lucas 18ACR that had been in an Austin Mini. I believe it was very common on British cars of that era. There are new replacements available for that model online - you could potentially get a used one or something with similar outputs from a vehicle wrecker and have it rebuilt if it's worn.
I seem to remember advice that if you plan on adding to the original electric demands e.g. extra lights it would be good to get one with higher amperage than the 18ACR 55amps.
I have had a good result with what I got and all original accessories.
Kind regards
Derek
+

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Derek,
Thank you for your further information regarding the Lucas 18ACR alternator. I have been looking around at universal alternators which are supposed to be 55amp 12v alternators, not sure how reliable they will be though. The second hand parts dealers here know how to load their prices and you are actually going in blind. I will shop around and see if I can find something in the next couple of weeks.
Take care,
Mervyn.