Grass/turf tyre options

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Redpla
Not Quite Blue Yet

Grass/turf tyre options

Post by Redpla »

Can anyone advise what are my options for grass tyres, please?

Trying to find a second-hand set of rims plus tyres, but not sure what size will give me the same rolling radius as my current set-up.

Currently have a pair of mismatched and well-worn 12.4/11 - 28 agricultural tyres. The rims aren't great and one of the tyres is coming to pieces, so something's got to be done soonish.

Don't see many used 28" grass tyres/wheels coming up. More often things like 14.9/13 - 24. Are these a similar diameter, and will the rims fit over my brakes?

1960 Dexta.

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Grass/turf tyre options

Post by fredthedog »

Hiya

My Dexta presently has the 14.9/13x24s (In a worn regular cleated tread), and the 24" wheels fit OK over the brake drums, worth noting the rolling radius is slightly smaller than standard.

I have seen 12.4 28" grass tyres advertised second hand so they are occasionally available and possibly available new too!
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

10-28 is the normal size, but 11-28 will be ok. 12-24 was available but not for turf. I don't recommend mixing rims and tyres.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Redpla
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Redpla »

Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye out for some 28" grass tyres.

Anyone happen to know the weight of a Dexta wheel (rim + disk + grass tyre/tube)? I guess grass tyres will be lighter than R1's.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi,
Just be aware that if you're used to having standard ag tyres on the back for what you do, grass tyres will have much reduced traction on wet grassy slopes. That can get 'exciting' real quick.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Patrick Edwards near Oxford has some listed at the moment.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Redpla
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Redpla »

Thanks all.
Having looked at some of the slopes here (one above a pond and the other above a stream...) it seems wiser to stick with ags even though they put more pressure on the ground.
So, fickle me, now I'm looking for either one half-worn 12.4/11-28 tyre to go on my existing rim, or a pair of half-worn 12.4 or 11 or maybe 10 ags on 28" rims.