clutch stuck

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
woolroad
Not Quite Blue Yet

clutch stuck

Post by woolroad »

Hi ,
I have a super dexta,on the weekend I was using the tractor when the PTO housing start to leak oil , that was fine I have removed the PTO housing at the rear of the tractor and will now replace the seal , but once this happend the clutch engaged its self and will not release . The only way to the move the tractor was to start and keep the engine idelling low , then place the tractor into gear, thus the only way to stop was to turn it off. The clutch is very very soft. Now I have noticed I have oil/water in the gear selector case it was white so I have emptyed the oil , I still need to change the oil seal , how to I release the clutch or does this mean I need to replace the clutch. The tractor has been used hard over the years.

Dunggatherer
True Blue

Post by Dunggatherer »

Goodday Woolroad,

From your story i understand that you can still drive the tractor.
Here's a trick i learned from a garage owner.
He used it on cars but it might work on your Dexta too.
First work the tractor hard.
Every part must be really hot.Like operating temperature.
Then stop the engine and push the clutchpedal down.
Of course it will not disengage.
Now the trick:put a wedge over the clutchpedal,so it remains depressed.
Now allow the tractor to cool down over night.
Next morning the clutch should be free.
The guy said it works most of the time,due to the difference in cooling and crimping of the clutchparts.
Of course the clutch needs investigation.

Good luck!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

From what you say, and the speed at which it happened, I would suspect a broken clutch lever or pin. You will have to split the tractor I am afraid.

Removing the PTO shaft will not have any affect on the main clutch.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Another though came to me after my last post. The cluch operating fork is held onto the shaft by two pins. These could have failed. I have seen this happen and that could explain the "soft clutch pedal" you mention
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian