Leaking hydraulics affecting gear change?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Leaking hydraulics affecting gear change?

Post by Chris Ivin »

I am still waiting to get round to overhauling the hydraulics. Something I have noticed when I have got a heavy load on the back end is that it is a pig of a job to change gear on the move. The gears keep spinning whereas when I have little or no weight on the back gear changes are easy.

I am guessing that oil is leaking from the hydraulic cylinder back into the pump when the clutch is depressed. Does this sound feasible :?: ? If it is not caused by this what could be the cause? I'm hoping that it will be cured when I sort the hydraulics out but I am curious as to the cause :scratchhead: .

Chris
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Chris,

The hydraulics will have no affect on the gearchange. The oil from the pump goes into the ram cylinder and cannot get back to the pump as valves internally stop it.

Are we talking live clutch or standard? I cannot remember. What could affect the gears is drag on the gearbox from the extra load, slowing you down faster so you miss the change point.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Brian,

It is a standard clutch.

I take your point with the extra load slowing me down faster than when empty. I have probably put two and two together and come up with five!

Chris
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"