First time hearing Dexta 3-cylinder running

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

First time hearing Dexta 3-cylinder running

Post by Miles »

Another Dexta diesel rescued (1959 s/n 22536)...

Got all the wiring sorted out....Read my manual I have a few times...and started the old girl up for the first time in many years!

Seems to hunt a lot under no-load but think the governor is a little sticky after all these years but getting better. Any lube points? I cleaned the little filter which seemed to improve hunting somewhat.

The engine seems to have a fuel knock when accelerating which I think is injectors but maybe normal for this motor? I read that this may also be caused by leakage at the heating coil.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

The engine shouldnt knock when revved this needs looking at,
you could set the engine reving at the the knock point and slacken each injector in turn if the knock goes away it is that injector if it still does it isolate the cold start line and rev the engine if it goes away you have found the problem.

Regards
James

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Miles,

Your Dexta might even be a Dec/58 given the serial number.

Are there other Dextas out your way?

Les

Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Miles »

Les,

My typing skills were bad on the serial number - correct number is 26365 which puts it early '59. It has live drive as well...and nice feature that I wish the Major's had where the 3pt works without the pto engaged.

I have been looking for a dexta for about 10yrs....so rare in this area...Did see a petrol a few years ago at local dealer (wanted $3500) but was very rough and what was there was brazed/welded and not original so I passed...Never heard one run until this week when this one came to life...

...so now on the hunt for the vertical "dexta" emblem for front, couple of grill knobs and couple lights for rear fenders...and of course a petrol dexta and super dexta.

What model(s) do you have?

Regards

Miles

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Miles, all the parts you are looking for are available here in the UK from companies like http://www.southerntractorspares.co.uk/ and http://www.agrilineproducts.com/.

Not sure what postage to Canada would be though.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Miles,
We have 2 '62 Super Dextas, one since '63 and the other from a nearby farm sale almost 2 years ago that came with a cracked block. I used Belzona on it but haven't had time to get back to get it running.
There are 2 Dexta's that I know of in the area and saw a '63 Petrol for sale last year but didn't have $6000 laying around!
I didn't notice if any of them had rear fender lights!?
Saw a Super Dexta listed at Allen B's machinery auction in Rimbey a few years back but don't know what it went for or it's condition.
We bought a Commander 6000 new in '68 because of the performance of the S. Dexta but.....well....anyway, the Dexta is still working!
Westlock Tractor Parts NW of Edmonton show a Dexta for salvage.
and British Tractor Wreckers in Unity can also get parts but I haven't dealt with them.
Cheers,
Les