Combined ignition and light switch positions Dec 1961

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Combined ignition and light switch positions Dec 1961

Post by npaisnel »

Can anyone tell me what the correct sequenc for the lighting switch should be on a Dec 1961 Dexta.

I have just stripped and cleaned up a frozen one, but before putting it back together did not try and work out what the sequence should be. Now I have it back together I do not want to peel back the metal tabs again, as the black plastic/bakerlite is getting a bit brittle.

Depending on what yo usay, I may have to strip it again, but want to wait and see.

I seem to remember there being a side light only position, a dip and a high beam position, but mine does not have that. Maybe I need to clean the switch pin contact face again.

Mine does this;

From the Vertical 'Off' Position, there is one click to the right...does nothing

From vertical again
One (or possible two) click to the left is dip
Next position is Full
Next click is off.

Is this correct/

Neil

two clicks to the left

llanfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by llanfair »

Hi Npaisnel,
I do not think you need to strip the switch again, if you brush and wash the back of the switch all markings are clearley marked on back plate.
The correct possitions are,
Fully Right =Side & tail only
Next Left = Everything off
2nd Left =Side Tail And dipped head lights
3rd Left = Side taiil And Full head lights
4th Left= Full head lights only
Hope this has been some help.
Regards LLANFAIR.

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ok, thanks

I can read the back plate fine, that is not the problem. your post with what lights should be on in what position is what I needed though, and does mean I need to strip the switch again.

I will need to strip it again, because I will need to clean the contacts up a bit more, maybe even bend/stretch the moving side of the contacts up a bit.
I polished I cleaned up the contacts with a wire brush before re assembling, but did not do anymore. Looks like it will have to come apart again as the moving contacts are obviously not makeing good contact with the fixed plate with the terminals on.
Not a major issue, just need to be carefull I dont crack the bakerlite

Thanks

Neil

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Stripped and rebuilt (again) and all positions working now.

Got keen yesterday and also stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the horn button and the starter button on top of the starter motor.

Had a look at the glow plug button, and think I have sucess with that, but the pcb type base plate material was a bit worn/cracking, so had to do a 'no going back ' repair with a load of epoxy to put it back together again

Thanks for the info
Neil

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

npaisnel, I've notice reading a few of your posts that you have a few dextas knocking about and might have some secondhand spares available. I'm looking for the Fuel leak off pipes connecting the 3 injectors together and then connecting to a pipe that runs back to the fuel tank. I'm also looking for the bracket that connects the mounting plate that the air filter and throttle attach to on to the right hand side of the cylinder head. I'm also looking for a good seat pan if you have one.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Possibly got the bleed off pipe between the injectors, I was just pulling an oil pressure switch off an engine in the shed this afternoon, and I think it had the pipe on. Would not expect to see the pipe going to the tank though.

Will have to look for the other bits. I know I did have spare air filter unit, not sure what it was attached to, but I know I need the main body of the filter, as the Dexta I was doing the lighting switch has a big hole in its airfilter, where the battery has rubbed through.

Seat pan, no, I have just ( Well last year) re built two myself. I think there are pictures of it somewhere here on one of my posts....if the linked pictures are still available on my server here...
Edit : just searched and it is still here on the forum:

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... highlight=

The one that I initially did for my grandfathers tractor (but was wrong) will go on the one I am currently 'keeping running'

If you do not hear from me within a day or so, PM me to spur me into action ;)

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Just the bleed off pipe would be brilliant as that is whats holding me up at the moment.

The bracket i'm looking for is the one that bolts behind the rear lifting eye on the cylinder head and holds the battery firewall and air fileter all together.

As for my seat I might try repairing.

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

going down farm later this afternoon, after fixing my fathers BBQ

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

have got a bleed off pipe, and also the pipe that returns fuel to the tank.

The return pipe is in two pieces though, so you would have to take the ends off, get new olives, and make a new one using the fittings.

No other parts, I do not even have a spare air filter unit for myself

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Let me know how much you want for them and postage and i'll send you a cheque or can pay you via paypal. PM me your details and i'll let you know my address for postage.

Thanks

AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Combined ignition and light switch positions Dec 1961

Post by AlexB »

I am having similar problems with my superdexta, in that I don't know what the switch does

Which position gives everyting off? vertical ? (with the pivot at the top lever pointing down? )

And from vertical, what then please?

Many thanks
Alex

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Combined ignition and light switch positions Dec 1961

Post by Old Hywel »

Yes, vertical = off.
Single move to right (anti c.w.) = side.
Other (c. wise) as first reply above.