Replacing axle seals 101

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Replacing axle seals 101

Post by Miles »

It seams that the axle seals on my dexta need to be replaced...and the brakes renewed.

Can anyone provide step-by-step best practice for this job...

I am not familiar with Dexta internals yet but will be after this...

Many thanks as always.

Miles

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

It all depends on the age of your tractor! The earlier tractors used a steel collar shrunk onto the shaft to retain the bearing, later models used a nyloc nut 2.3/4" or 70 mm AF.

Rather than try to provide a step by step guide I suggest that you refer to the workshop manual, then if you have any queries or hit a problem you can call on members of the forum for help.

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Very useful information Gerald, I was not looking forward to messing about with hot collars and was thinking of shipping this job to the local ag mechanic. As mine is a late one I should have the nyloc nut so I'm going to give it go myself.

Many Thanks

Andy

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

By way of encouragement - I'm new to Dexta's but by using the workshop manual and searching in this forum I was able to remove and replace the axles easily. Mine had shrunk on collars so I got a local engineer to replace them.
I would also mention that the best method to set the end float is to use a dial gauge with a magnetic base rather than the feeler gauge method described in the manual.

Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

While I'm in ther fiddling about with the rear axle seals and bearings, is there anything else I should be replacing? I'll change the PTO seal as its weeping, anything else before I put the oil back in?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Bearing in mind that you intend to use the tractor on your land and
without turning this job into a mammoth exercise, if you intend to drain the oil it would pay you to lift the top cover with the hydraulics. This will then enable you to clean out the gunge which invariably collects in the axle casing and will also enable you to inspect and clean or renew the suction and return filters for the hydraulics. The return filter is a paper element type and is available form New Holland dealers Pt. No. 81800792 (E68-GF-9)

Whilst the cover is off you can also inspect the linkages and pins for the hydraulic lift.

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Many Thanks Gerald

I've added filters to the kit list, I bought the axle seals and bearings nearly 4 years ago when I first got the tractor so I'm going to double check the numbers to make sure I ordered the right ones.

Regards
Andy