WHAT IS IT ?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
David in Wales
True Blue

WHAT IS IT ?

Post by David in Wales »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dexta fitted with a M-F 35 Perkins engine or a new short block unit. A BITSA! :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Isn't that the 23C Diesel from a 4cyl MF35. Was the 4cyl a perkins motor? I thought it was a Standard built engine.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I can see it's got heaters for each cylinder. Did Perkins match the rear flange on their P3's during it's development to the 23C block originally so that it could replace what was a poor starter with a better engine?
I cant see any adaptors and what happened to the exhaust hole in the bonnet? Was it a petrol originally?
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jerry Coles wrote:I can see it's got heaters for each cylinder. Did Perkins match the rear flange on their P3's during it's development to the 23C block originally so that it could replace what was a poor starter with a better engine?
I cant see any adaptors and what happened to the exhaust hole in the bonnet? Was it a petrol originally?
Is there not an adapter plate between engine and bellhousing?
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

it looks like a standard 23c diesel with a cold climate head

regards
James

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

What is it?

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Looks like its got an adapter plate between the engine and the clutch housing thats slightly different to the standard Fordson plate,this can clearly be seen in the picture with the starter motor.Have they also repositioned the hand brake on this tractor or what is the lever for by the brake pedels? But what I would find out is this,when you look at the Ford cast/specification but Perkins design/assembled engine in a Dexta/Super Dexta , it all looks very "Plan B"(If all else fails have a Plan B!), then what was "Plan A"?Was there another engine originally designed for the Dexta?Was there ever a 3 cylinder Major motor considered and rejected?Being somewhat younger than my Super Dexta , is there any one out there that was around when the Dexta was being designed that can tell us about the Dextas design process and what options were considered but rejected.(ie engine options if any.)Cheers TSG :scratchhead:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

After making a right fool of myself by identifying that engine as a Perkins, I am having another go. I don't think its a Standard. I have a Standard diesel on my scrap heap at the moment and the injection pump drive is via the timing cover.

On the engine in David's picture, it looks like it drives from a slew gear on the camshaft where a distributor drive would be.

Therefore I am going to suggest it comes from the same stable as the Dexta but from the US, and is a Ford '00 series engine or an industrial unit based on te same engine.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

I do not have an idea about what it is, but I have the following thoughts:
- The oil filler looks quite Ferguson/Standard engine
-The fuel pump looks very CAV I think
-American Fords have injection pumps on right hand side of tractor, for as far as I know, and exhaust on left hand side.

Where do diesel fergies have the starter? On the right hand side usually?

Can you give some more clue about this tractor David?

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964