3PL only lifts 10cm

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
morton45
Not Quite Blue Yet

3PL only lifts 10cm

Post by morton45 »

Hello,
I was a registered user last year, but due to the floods in June `07 I lost touch with this wonderful forum.
Now I have re-registered to find it has changed a little.
I was looking foward to reading some old posts on the subject of Dexta hydraulics, alas I cant find them.

So can anyone tell me why my Dexta 3PL will only raise about 10cm with a 5 ft slasher hooked on, yet with no implement attached it will raise to about 2/3 of it`s full height.

Previously I was able to lift the quadrant arm up to the top & if I was quick enough to get to the little lever on the top right side of the gearbox, I could hold this from lifting up about 1cm or so as it sits in a position a little bit sagged from horizontal.

The above process would allow the 3PL arms to raise fully.

Now however even that method doesn`t work & I`m keen to remedy the problem. I was even thinking about parking the old girl & buying a Korean import. :oops:

I`ve come to my senses though & will persevere with the old girl because I love her. :clap:

Can anyone suggest where to start or what to look for.

Many Thanks in advance
It`s great to be back
Peter
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you can push on the position control/draft control selector and the lift goes up your linkage is not set correctly and your position control pin is worn.

You need to take the top off and a).. change the pin, b).. reset the lift adjustments.

If you look in the Wiki part of this board, there is a full setting instruction chapter. All the old posts are still available by going to Oscar's post at the top of each section and hitting the link he placed there. There has been no change in the old board, just the interactive bit has been moved.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

morton45
Not Quite Blue Yet

I missed it again

Post by morton45 »

Thanks Brian,

My apologies, after I`d posted the question I searched the site a little further & discovered the old posts. Something I seem to do these days with ever increasing frequency.
I found the hydraulics Q & A`s & I should be able to work it out from there.

Just one question before I leave you alone - What do you call the following valves

The large quadrant R H side of seat

The plunger type valve on top of gearbox

The 2 positional lever top R H side gearbox

My reason for asking is I struggle to follow what draft control/qualitrol valve, positional control valve etc etc.

If I can get clear in my head which part is under discussion, I can then get a clearer picture of what discussion instructions are about.

Is there a topic on how to post pictures, as I`d like to include some of what I`m doing.

Kind Regards Peter

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Re: I missed it again

Post by Meanderer »

G'day Peter,
I had wondered why you had not shown up on the new forum! Glad your back.
morton45 wrote: Is there a topic on how to post pictures, as I`d like to include some of what I`m doing.
I find it very difficult for people to find the "how to" regarding posting images etc. but it is there. What you have to do to find the INSTRUCTIONS is to go into edit window of ANYones' Post then look down in the left corner of the page under Options and click the blue highlighted link to BBCode. You will find ALL the instructions to images, URL redirects, Quoting, Bold, Italics etc.

The main thing you need to do is to have a Hosting Site where you can upload your images to and make them available to the internet. There are many free Hosting Sites. I personally use Photobucket.com
Another imporytant point. Once you have placed images into that host NEVER delete it, move it to another directory or change its name. Otherwise your post on this board will no longer be able to find it!
Any problems, you can contact me through the email in my profile or the button on the bottom of my post.

Regards,
Rick
Last edited by Meanderer on Tue May 27, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
Regards,
Rick

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The lever in the Quadrant is the Main Control Lever. The plunger valve is the Auxillary Services Valve and the lever by the side is the Qualitrol (Draft)/Position control selector.

There is also a Flow Control valve on the top of the aux.service valve that looks like a snail shell and has a link to the main control lever quadrant for overide.

Please don't leave us alone :( It gets lonely not having posts to answer :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

morton45
Not Quite Blue Yet

Flow control valve missing

Post by morton45 »

Thanks Rick & Brian,

It`s only here that I`m amongst those who understand, gentlemen of similar ilk & thinking I must say.

Many ask me why I insist on keeping that old blue heap of s....
& why not just go & buy a new one.

My reply to them is simply this - If you`ve gotta ask that question, then you`ll never understand my answer.

Anyway on to the point at hand.

Brian, you mention a small snail shaped arrangement on top of the aux. service vave called a flow control valve.

Were all Dextas equipped with this valve ? My old girl doesn`t have this valve - either never there or removed by a former lover for God knows what reason .

I ask this because here in Australia we sometimes have received variations to the same model motor cars, tractors etc that the rest of the world gets. (this is still a current trend believe me)

Do I need one ?

My old girl had an after market front end loader which was very handy but over engineered & incredibly heavy (410 kgs).

I bought a new steering wheel from the UK & was very happy with it till one of the spokes broke. Partly due to the excessive weight over the front end.

They just don`t make stuff like they used to.

The hydraulics for the bucket rams ran straight out of the pump on the side of the gearbox to the remote/control valves. The female thread was snapped off when I bought her.

I machined an aluminium socket & welded it on where the original female thread was & retapped the correct thread.

I guess being without power steering the Dexta is not that well suited to a FEL.

Anyway I removed the FEL with much grunting & groaning.

The irony of it all to me was that after I removed the loader I thought to myself - if I had a FEL on my tractor I could`ve performed that heavy task so much more quickly. Go figure !

Sorry, I digress yet again !

Are there any photographs I can view regarding the repair to the position control pin ? Or perhaps someone I can talk to over the phone or better still meet with ?

Do I need to buy a new one, repair the old one or can I machine a new one myself. Bearing in mind I`m only an average machinist.

Mirror finished surfaces toleranced to .0005" aren`t my specialty.

Thanks to all who contribute to my posts.

Sooooooo many questions I know

Brian, fear not, I will not leave you again.

I will give you many questions to ponder & help me with. I also promise to provide you with much mirth at the nature of some of my questions.

Regards Peter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Peter,
Not all Dexta's had the flow control, some did not even have the pull out valve.

A lot depends on the tyre size on the front with your front loader. If you have 600X16 they steer better than the narrow wheels. I have a TE20 with a loader. I have narrow wheels and she is a struggle at times but some time ago I had some 600X16 and she steered well.

The other thing is we think because we can lift it we should :oops: too much can cause problems with humans and it certainly will with tractors.
Brian