Any Ideas???

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hiking bear
True Blue

Any Ideas???

Post by hiking bear »

Im in the process of making a cab for Dexta. Alls going very well but im stuck for a wiper motor. The windscreen frame is made of 50 x 50 mm Box section as it forms part of a safety cage. Im therefore stuck for ideas as to how to mount a wiper motor. Most cars only have a short spline which passes through thin metal. I need something with a spline long enough to pass through the box and out the other side. Does anyone know of anything that would do?
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi hiking bear,

Not sure about a wiper motor, but how about another solution?
How about getting someone to cut a hole in your windscreen for the wiper motor to fit through.
Alternatively mount the wiper motor somewhere else, i.e. at the bottom of the windscreen...

Just some suggestions! Feel free to tell me to get lost if you want!

Regards,
Mark

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Mark, Thanks for your suggestions im open to any ideas as its driving my brain mad! Cant mount off the bottom as thats box section as well. Drilling the glass and using someting like an old Land Rover wiper motor was a thought, however at this stage i dont know if Laminated glass can be drilled? Im sure someone will know. A thought i had was whether the shaft of a wiper motor could have a longer sleeve put over it, i.e. long enough to go through 50x50.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Supertractorman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Supertractorman »

Hiking Bear,

It could be worth looking for a wiper from an old truck or bus, as the cabs were mainly ash framed which was fairly thick, and old vehicles were still 12volt. Try an old HGV magazine for spares suppliers.

David
1964 Super Dexta
1958 Dexta
Mini Dexta
1944 Ford Ferguson 9NAN
Ferguson Teeny 20

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Just a thought,

Why not tack weld a strip of thinner steel along the underneath of the top box section. Fix the wiper motor through that. It just loses you a little of the overall glass height.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

your best bet might be to go for an old tractor cab in the scrapyard, the duncan cab fitted alot of different type tractors as did other cabs , the cage is about 50 mm thick ,also ithink the the wiper motor can still be bought new compleat ,
it would save you a lot of hassle.
Just my tuppence worth
Gerry

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

The basic frame for the cab is now all made up and welded etc. Ive now got in mind buying a wiper motor as fitted to a boat which is similar in looks to the old vintage Lucas units. You can buy them new on ebay for about £30 quid, the proper Lucas units seem to make a fortune and many are 6 volt. Anyway, my idea is to take the size of the spindle,most are 30mm long and about 10mm diameter,and to get some round bar of a larger diameter and about 70mm long,bore it to 11mm diameter and sleeve it over the existing,retaining it with a couple of grub screws. The end of bar will then have to be made to fit the wiper arm. Sounds long winded but shouldnt take more than a few hours to make.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi hicking bear , my post did not come out the way i had intended. i wasnt meanning for you to get a tractor cab from the scrapyard but the wiper unit from a scrap tractor if possible , but you seem to have resolved the problem anyway, mybe you could post a picture when you have finished an mounted on tractor, good luck . Gerry

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Yes im taking photos as i go. Ive also made a file with my plans and measurements etc plus materials used. The longest part of this job is getting the measurements correct and everything in line. When finished i will make available to anyone interested,this would save them hours and hours of time!