Dexta seats

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
marcusgs
True Blue

Dexta seats

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if this seat, as sold by Agriline, was used throughout Dexta production please?
I have a '57 Dexta, with a seat fitted similar to a Ferguson seat, which I think is incorrect.

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks,
Mark

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

My superdexta is like the one in the photo
My 1958 dexta has the same ferguson type seat as your 1957, its also non live drive so it could be classed as an economy version ??

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Cant tell you if the seat is correct. Obviousley your trying to make your Dex as original as possible?? I use mine for work and cut a lot of grass on bumpy ground. I often get bad neck pains not helped by bouncing up and down! I purchased a sprung seat brand new from a firm in the Midlands,it was £60 inc carriage. Absolutley brilliant, such a soft ride and i believe a better driving position.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

hiking bear wrote:I purchased a sprung seat brand new from a firm in the Midlands,it was £60 inc carriage. Absolutley brilliant, such a soft ride and i believe a better driving position.
Where did you get your sprung seat?
Thanks,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

Bear with me on this one. I think the firm is called KDR seating. I will have a look on the seat tommorow it has the firms name and number on it. I got it via ebay but when it arrived they enclosed a catalogue with dozens of seats. I cant recommend it highly enough,you sit about 3 inchs higher which feels much better and makes the pedals easier to work. The seat slides back and forward and you can adjust it for your weight. From memory i had to cut a small groove into the base with the grinder to clear something or other,took no more than 10 minutes to fit.
1961 Dexta, 1957 FE35 and 1966 Eicher ES101 (of which im always looking for spares).

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I too have a suspension seat.

After my plough day at Brimfield I could hardly walk for the next day or two, then a trip out on our local roads with a trailer and I was straight over to Malcolm Hipperson to get one. Around £50.00 and very comfortable, weight adjustable but does not tip to let water off. You sit nice and high too.

Not original but like a feather bed :D .

Dexta drivers must have been really tough to take that seat, even Henrietta has a rubber suspension seat. Seems the idea went out with the Power and Super Majors but these don't seem as bad as the Dexta.

Some early Dextas had a sprung seat like the early TE20s. This was reasonably comfortable, at least it took out some of the shocks.
Last edited by Brian on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

hiking bear wrote:Bear with me on this one. I think the firm is called KDR seating. I will have a look on the seat tommorow it has the firms name and number on it. I got it via ebay but when it arrived they enclosed a catalogue with dozens of seats. I cant recommend it highly enough,you sit about 3 inchs higher which feels much better and makes the pedals easier to work. The seat slides back and forward and you can adjust it for your weight. From memory i had to cut a small groove into the base with the grinder to clear something or other,took no more than 10 minutes to fit.
Is it like these? A wraparound seat Vapormatic part# VLD1680 ?
All the best,

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Marcus,
Mine has, or should I say had, a seat like your picture, with a little back rest on it too.
I like a lot of Dexta operators have changed to the hydraulic seat. I got mine over 5 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. Like Brian says she sits high and rides like a Tennessee walker.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Nisse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nisse »

Agriline has it listet for the Ford 3000
Fordson Super Dexta, John Deere JD400 Backhoe loader

Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta seats

Post by Bensdexta »

Nisse wrote:Agriline has it listet for the Ford 3000
Looks like Agriline sells the Vapormatic seat:
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/retail% ... logue.html

Brian's Hipperson seat is different - it has no arms.

Supertractorman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta seats

Post by Supertractorman »

marcusgs wrote:Hi,

Can anyone confirm if this seat, as sold by Agriline, was used throughout Dexta production please?
I have a '57 Dexta, with a seat fitted similar to a Ferguson seat, which I think is incorrect.

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks,
My early '58 Dexta has the same seat as above, but I purchased the cushion set from a company who I cannot remember, but I think they do not exist now. They offered a choice of foam and I had the firmer one which makes me sit higher in the seat , but gives not a bad ride.
1964 Super Dexta
1958 Dexta
Mini Dexta
1944 Ford Ferguson 9NAN
Ferguson Teeny 20

hiking bear
True Blue

Post by hiking bear »

My seat is identical to the One sold by Agriline with the arms. Looks to me as though the Black and Blue are same seat different colours?? The arms come in handy when your just mowing and sitting! My seat was stamped with KDR seating. Do a google search for their website and see there huge range of seats,i think some would be out of place on my Dex with there air suspension etc etc,not to mention the price.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Does anyone have a seat with a built-in damper (as well as a spring!)?

Is it worth the extra money? :wink:

Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mathijs »

Bensdexta wrote:Does anyone have a seat with a built-in damper (as well as a spring!)?

Is it worth the extra money? :wink:
I do. As long as it can be adjusted for weight it means mowing the grass in one day or two day for me.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mathijs wrote:
Bensdexta wrote:Does anyone have a seat with a built-in damper (as well as a spring!)?
I do. As long as it can be adjusted for weight it means mowing the grass in one day or two day for me.
What seat do you have?

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

i think the orignal seat had a little rise at the front on the seat and a rubber under to help
to cushion it , although the moderen men are not just as hardy as the older fellows ,
and need the softer new seat myself included , saves the back an lower regions :lol:
sky blue

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Seats

Post by Bensdexta »

Vapormatic tell me that the wraparound seat Vapormatic VLD1680/1681/1682 also has a built-in damper.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

My suspension seat looks like the blue one pictured above but does not have the wrap-around seat back. Just a normal shaped back. I was out digging a plowed field today and the seat worked great. I have an extremely bad back and I felt no discomfort at all. :clap:
I can find no name on this seat and I just purchased it. :(
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Does it have an adjustable base, like VLD1680, which can be set to three different mounting angles?

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

As I recall there are some holes to adjust the back angle. I ordered it through a farm supplier on line but don't recall their name. Not much help am I :roll:
Chris

Mathijs
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mathijs »

Bensdexta wrote:
Mathijs wrote:
What seat do you have?
I tried to look for a brand name but it's all faded off by now. Seat is still perfect though.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I looked all over mine also and no name to be found. What a hopeless case. :(
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

No sweat!

I'm compiling a table of dimensions, etc for various seats. Meanwhile I'm doing some harrowing, standing up on the LH footplate holding the roll bar with my right hand. Works well on level fields, get a good view front and back.