Hydraulic's not working /no return pipe

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
mosshog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic's not working /no return pipe

Post by mosshog »

I bought a Dexta late last year and the Hydraulic's have not lifted when the tractor was first started, but worked after 2/3 mins of playing with the control lever, and then they where fine for the rest of the day.

Now they have stop completely :cry: I have taken the top cover off and found there is no return pipe . I there-fore think I will get no where with out the pipe and its back pressure valve , am I right ?, and its only by chance they have worked.

Please can someone with some no how point me down the right road.

Many thanks Andy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No return pipe and back pressure valve means the lift cannot work propertly.
The system needs a back pressure of 12 to15 psi for the unload valve to work properly. This is set and maintained by the valve in the return pipe and filter.
The unload valve is the most important valve in the system if things are to work correctly.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

mosshog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mosshog »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, now i just need to find a pipe, why it has ever been taken out , i will never no ,

Thanks again Andy

mosshog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mosshog »

Hi,
I have got my self a return pipe and valve , but its was rusty , and could not find a hole in the pipe to let oil into the filter. I have cleaned the pipe up in de-rust remove and there is a small hole about 1mm appeared . Is this the right size of hole ?, or do i need to drill it bigger.

Many Thanks Andy

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

You'll have to be a bit patient, I'm afraid. Brian will be gone until Monday or so :( .

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I can confirm that a single 1mm hole is correct.

Gerald

mosshog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mosshog »

Thanks all. :D

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Brian,

On this subject of hydraulics, a colleague of mine has got himself a Super Dexta but cannot for the life of him get the arms to lift?? he's had the top off and checked all the bits known to him but cannot find the problem. What are the areas to check and what is the correct position of both levers to operate the lift arms on the Super Dexta.

Regards,

Barry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Barry,

Its the same lift as the Dexta so as longas the main control lever is at the top of the quadrant it should lift.

Try pulling the aux Service out and seeing if you can here the pump load with the lift lever up. See if oil comes from the aux service point.

Try another aux service chest.

Try pushing on the Qualitrol/Position control lever whilst trying to lift. If the lift comes up, the linkage is worn/out of adjustment.

Book me a holiday cottage and I'll come up and sort it :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for those tips which I will pass on to my colleague at our vintage club. What a shame all the local cottages are taken this time of year, but if you ever decide to visit this little corner of Wales I could set you up in a very nice static caravan which my Mother-in-Law lets out on the farm.

Regards,

Barry

P.S. And plenty of tractors to see to keep you amused.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I could always bring my caravan! :D
Brian