Dexta front axle pin stuck

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
john.n
True Blue

Dexta front axle pin stuck

Post by john.n »

I bought myself a dexta towards the end of summer last year. been slowly restoring since. I have now got round to removing the front axle pin for replacement due to the huge amount of free play in the axle. unfortunatally my dexta was last used as a scraper so the pin is rusted in solid. i removed the barket in the front with the bolt through it with heat (from a propane torch) and a hammer. I have tried for a week to remove the pin using every method I could think of. lots of oil, heat and swings with the hammer. nothing seems to be breaking the rust. can anyone suggest how to remove the pin. would rather not have to use an Acetylene torch. I have no access to one easily.

any help appreciated

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi john.n just throwing out some ideas , for a start if you jack one side of axel leaving one side on the ground it is possible to take all the weight off the pin then with thin flat bar you should be able to work in behind it an try to work/press it out it out along with small taps from a hammer, try not to bucther it as this will make it more inclinded to stick , are you sure it is rust which is holding it . Gerry

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

thanks for your suggestion. what would you use to press against. i did try a bar in the slit that the locking plate sits in but bent the bar. as for weight on the pin, the whole assembly has been unbolted from the engine.
I dont think the pin has been welded as there are no obvious signs of this. unless the pin is not meant to pass through a steel block welded on the back side of the front part of the bracket. this is the part the pin is stuck in. the back half of the bracket is not as corroded.
i did wonder if grinding flush the part of the pin extending out the front of the bracket, would remove the corrosion allowing the pin to be hammered out?

thanks again

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

John,

Where is the pin stuck ? Towards the axle or towards the Support & Bracket Assembly (partnumber 957E3048) ?

If it is in the bracket assembly, the issue might be that due to unbolting the assembly, the bracket springs back and the 2 holes are not aligned anymore (old accicdent ?).
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

the pin is stuck in the front bracket, not the axle. and yes the dexta has had a front impact in the past. the nosecone was bent inward at the height of a fence rail. and the back part of the bracket looks a tad bent, but the pin looks free in the back half of the bracket. the pin is only stuck in the front part of the bracket.

thanks again

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

the pivot pin is hollow , so make a weld in the inside at the place were it is stuck . Best with electric welder and rod 3.25 mm
The material of the pin tries to expand but it cannot so will crimp when it cools down.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

using the welding technique is there any risk of the bracket splitting? would heating the bracket with an Acetylene torch break the rust? then just hammer out?
i only have basic tools at home. propane torch, hammers, 2 tonne jack, pry bars and a grinder. if anyone can think of a technique using these tools i would be very greatful, or i will have to load up the front axle and take it to a garage.

many thanks for all the help so far.

just an after thought would coke help ease the rust? read about it for stuck engines

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you tried heating up the pin with your torch then quenching it with water? Tapping with a hammer is also an effective rust breaker.

PlusGas is a better bet than coke. Soak it for several days. Another possibility is Wurth Rost Off Ice (available in a spray can on ebay), which penetrates and cools at the same time.

All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

i have tryed cooling with water after heating with no noticeable results. the penetrating oil ive been using is wd40.

could i make a puller out of some threded bar? did try to cut the pin out but found i just dulled the saw blade without touching the pin.

ill just have to keep at it

thanks everyone for your help

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

finally got the pin moving! had to use bit of heat, lots of oil, lots of hammer blows when it was still hot. now all i need to do is cut the corroded end off and tap it out.

thanks to everyone for their help