Vacuum Pipe

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Hi, I have replaced the diaphram in the governor, and while trying to connect the vacuum pipe it snapped probably having been pushed out of shaped by me in the removal of the diaphram.
Does any one know where I can buy a new one or even how I can make up a new one.
Many thanks for your help.
Cheers
Damian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

If I'm not mistaken, the ferrules in the ends are only soldered on, so heat them with a blowtorch to undo them, clean them off and then get some soft copper tube, make your measurements, bend it where it should and re-solder the ferrules with the nuts in place... probably cheaper than buying a new pipe...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Agriline advertise new Dexta fuel pipes - not that expensive. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Bensdexta wrote:Agriline advertise new Dexta fuel pipes - not that expensive. :wink:
vacuum pipe... ;)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Is this the pipe you want? Available from Agriline, £12 +VAT:

7465 Pipe Assembly Injection Pump to Inlet Manifold Dexta 57-62

:wink:

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

vacuum pipe

Post by damian green »

Thank you very much, I have ordered one from Agriline. Once again many thanks for your help. I really appreciate it, still very much a newbe.
Cheers
Damian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Let us know if the Agriline pipe is OK. I may need to buy some myself :wink:

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Hi,
The pipe was great and fitted really well, however my little tractor is still really hard to start, I have changed the diaphram, the head, the head gasket, the injectors have been reconditioned, its been pressure tested which revealed nothing, all the cylinders where about the same.. with good pressure. Please, please let there be a simple cure starting to think time to change her.
Many thanks
Damian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

you want to refit the cold start with the primer pump and the heater plug. they are useless without one another. she will fire right up

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Hi Thanks for the quick response, refitting the cold start how do I do that still on a massive learning curve, the heater plug is a new one and was fitted when we took off the head.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
The primer lives in the fuel tap underneath the fuel tank.
The heater lives in the inlet manifold.
Suggest you see the parts list and the workshop manual, both downloadable from Stefan's fordson-dexta.de site.
All the best,

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

there are many posts on repair/ reinstall the cold starting. there is a primer pump on the tank outlet (lower left side from driver's seat) if you have a back button sticking out to the side this is the primer. if you only have a fuel cut off then you will have to find a primer pump, the originals are meant to be far better. there is then a pipe from the primer pump to the inlet manifold. the pipe connects to the side to the manifold through a brass nozzle (or a valve with nozzle) your shopping list if you cant find these is:
-primer pump
-primer pump to inlet hose
-Fuel Tap/Jet for Manifold.

the system works by heating the element for 40secs this makes it red hot, then using the primer to pump fuel onto the hot elemnt makes it ignite. then crank the engine. this draws the flames into the engine. should fire right up. you can open the throttle a bit to help. but dont leave it fully open.

hope this helps

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Excellent I will have a go, I have a primer pump which I can hear a squirting sound when pressed so I guess that is working, the heater plug is new and I will check the wiring to make sure its working and give it go. Many thanks once again.
Damian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

You may have a lazy starter motor! Make sure that the battery is fully charged and that all the electrical connections are clean and tight.

Gerald.

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum pipe

Post by damian green »

Hi all, the heater plug does not seem to be getting hot, I will check the wiring, I never used the cold start before to start her up, I have an old Dumper that requires easy start to start, hence why I had some, so I started the tractor on that but she stalled once the easy start had been used up so I was wondering would there be an air block..... so I will tonight have a go at bleeding the fuel system if you have any tips I would love to hear them.
Cheers
Damian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Vacuum pipe

Post by Bensdexta »

damian green wrote:.. so I started the tractor on that but she stalled once the easy start had been used up so I was wondering would there be an air block...
Don't use easy start - it's death to engines :cry:

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

connect the heater to the output on the battery (not ground) and the other to the threaded part of the heater plug. leave it for 40 seconds and it should be hot.

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

john.n wrote:connect the heater to the output on the battery (not ground) and the other to the threaded part of the heater plug. leave it for 40 seconds and it should be hot.
If you do this dont go touching it or holding it in your fingers as it will get HOT!! If its not been used for a while it will most likley start smoking burning of years of crud like ours did the first few times of heating.

Does anyone know if these glow plugs glow red hot? Just wondering.
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

eiddiej the heaters do get bright red hot, the need to be to ignite the diesel :) gerry

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

I can confirm that they do glow red hot... the one I replaced with the newer type "push-the-button-only" type did glow red hot, it's gathering dust on a shelf right now tho... Anyone interested?

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Hi thanks for the responses, its a new glowplug so should "glow red hot" but nothing I will have look tomorrow and see if I can get her going and top the fields any thoughts on the firing and then stopping I guess this can only be lack of fuel. Bit of downloading to do on the manuals.
Cheers
Damian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

have you got a new fuel cap. i got one but it just causes a vacume in the tank because it has no vent

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

No its the original one, going to bleed the fuel system hoping its an air block, from removing the fuel filter to fit the new vacuum pipe.
Cheers Damian

damian green
Not Quite Blue Yet

Vacuum Pipe

Post by damian green »

Well great news the heater wiring was faulty, a broken wire and there was some air coming out of the fuel filter and the fuel pump when I bleed it. Any way the combination of replacing the wire and bleeding got her started. Not only did I start her she topped the fields yippppeee!
I would like to thank you for all of your help.
Cheers
Damian