Grille colours again...pictures of my original

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Grille colours again...pictures of my original

Post by npaisnel »

Here is my original grille off my grandfathers Dexta, never been re-painted......in its original Orange.

I have gone down with wet/dry800 grade all the way to bare metal, definetly no other colour there. I am in Jersey, so maybe this was an export model if there was such a thing.

Despite all the other threads seeming to say they never came out in Orange, my father assure me they did.

Last edited by npaisnel on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENNY H
Not Quite Blue Yet

grill colour

Post by KENNY H »

All the dextas up here in north scotland had orange grills when supplied new.Maybe they had different suppliers making them.

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ah..interesting, maybe different parts of the country had different colours, or as you say, different supplier, or different paint left in the gun as different batches of tractors were going out.

This old thread here seemed to imply that they were all definetly NOT orange

and another thread here on this new forum.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

mine are orange!

Post by kiwiland dexta »

My '61 is still in it's original livery too, and certainly orange around the gills. What about your export/import from down this way, Brian, does it still have its grills? Perhaps this was an export thing!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Both the Dextas from New Zealand have silver grills. There are a number of pictures in the recent magazines of un restored Dextas at sales all with silver grills.

I am writing about this at the moment and will post it up later.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

This just about the oldest controversy on this website. I am glad to see that the debate is still not settled. It would be interesting to know once and for all how the various newly-produced Dextas where shipped over the years.

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

when i rubbed down my grills for painting they where silver, so thats what i re-sprayed them as.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Check out the Wiki "Brian on the Grills" http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... rills.html
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
I've checked out your wiki on the grill colour. Well written.
It certainally seems that the choice of grill colour was an export thing, and not all countries chose the same colour.
Kiwi Kev

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Reading all this gave me one idea.

Maybe Ford fitted different gill colours to make different production badges easy to identify for their personell on the yard outside.

For example: UK specs blue grills, Euro specs orange grilles and australie models gray grilles.

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mike,
Any more pictures like that and I will get Oscar to take away your deputy's shiny star! :rulez:
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ha Ha Ha,
That's a good one, Mike
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark white »

Hi,

While we are on the subject of the grills, what silver paint would you good people use :?:
Is it a light or dark silver :?:
I guess the obvious choice is a spray can of silver. With so many shades, just wondered what anybody has used before and can recommend :?:
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Same question goes for the orange.
If you go to a paint shop that mixes the paint for you what do you go for?
Mention Allis Chalmers Persian or Howard orange and they look at you like you are from a different planet.

How do you specify a paint colour in terms the paint mixing shops understand? Is ther a standard colour mixing format that they all understand and what is the correct spec for the orange...and silver...and blue

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The blue is Empire Blue, the Silver is Matt Silver. It was nearly the grey of wood ash, a very whitey shade, not the bright ones.

Perhaps Zinc colour would be the nearest.

The orange I have seen on the grills would perhaps need to be taken to a paint shop and matched. We used to use Howard Rotovator Orange on the wheels in our paint shop but later paint jobs I have seen seem to be way too red and bright. I did Henrietta with the Rotovator Orange some years ago and they still seem about right.

Both the Rotovator Orange and the original Fordson Orange fade to a more yellow colour.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

OK,

I did take the grille in to be colour marched, but there really was not enough showing for them to get a good colour match.

The front wheels still have the original orange, under about three layers of other colours. I am going to rub down/compound/t-cut down to the original colour, and take that to them.

Thanks

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

A family-member was selling Dexta's in Belgium and he has seen them all with only orange grills. Only superdexta was Silver ... (he remembered)

ps Even Sara painted them orange .... :run:

Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Jos Cuypers wrote:ps Even Sara painted them orange .... :run:
That's hilarious :) !

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have just removed Jos and Sara from my will :x
Brian