engine slow to pick up

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

engine slow to pick up

Post by massey148 »

when i put my superdexta in high third its very slow to pick up after i give it trottle.whats the most likely diagnosis and remedy.it may have been parked up for a while as i don't know the history of this tractor .thanxs

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Re: engine slow to pick up

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Can be a lot of things :
But for sure following things can be checked :
- Oil (grade and Level) in governour => best is to drain and fill again
- Injection pump not getting enough fuel (fuel filter , lines ....)
- Air inlet stuck (oil-level and dirth in the metal filter element)
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by massey148 »

thanks Jos.just looked inside oil filler cap and noticed a white gunk on valve springs and traces of water.also it leaked water at water pump.thaught it was a waterpump problem but must be a cracked head.need to conduct examination!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

If the tractor has been sitting for some time I would not strip the engine just yet. Some things to look at first.
Is the oil on the dip stick black or grey (milky)? If not grey, which would be from mixing with water, then the rocker cover may just have condensation from sitting.

Has it been sitting out in the weather and could some rain water have got into the engine?

If it does have water in the oil it could simply be a head gasket.

It may be worth an oil change followed by a run of 30 mintues or more to get it good and hot to see if it contaminates the oil with water again. Keep an eye on the colour of the oil during the run though and if it goes real milky again then look for a problem.

Any way you can find out why it was parked up? There may be a clue there.

I did an engine a few weeks back that was in a flood and had about 3L of water in with the oil. Took a couple of changes of oil to get it clean but did not seem to do any damage.

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Easy check on a cracked head or blown gasket :
Fill up the cooling system to the neck, start the engine and check if bubbles are blown out via the coolant filler. If not, let the engine run warm and check again. If not, it is just condensation.
The leak at the waterpump can be caused by a leaking seal but also when the pressure is to high in the cooling cirquit because of a leaking gasket or cracked head.
massey148 wrote:thanks Jos.just looked inside oil filler cap and noticed a white gunk on valve springs and traces of water.also it leaked water at water pump.thaught it was a waterpump problem but must be a cracked head.need to conduct examination!
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Check the condition of the timing cover behind the water pump as corrosion here is common when no plate is fitted between. Our didnt corrode through but Im sure someone posted it was thier source of water in engine oil.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... pump#10117
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------

massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by massey148 »

checked engine oil. no sign of water contamination.must be condensation and worn seal on water pump.No history of dexta as owner passed away.RIP.All he used it for was driving to and from the pub.its just slow picking up the revs and low in power.maybe a hard days work needed i hope.

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Good to see the previous owner put it to good use in his final days.

I would fix the water pump and then follow Brians advice of of a good days work.