oil

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GERRY
True Blue

oil

Post by GERRY »

Hi oil :?:again still trying to track down a suitable oil that can be bought here in ireland for the dexta, ihave came across a exol sae30w lawn mower engine oil,would this be ok in the diesel dexta , :? Gerry

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

:?: Lawnmower oil ,Noooooo. Just go to a filling station and get a couple of 5lt' of 10w 40 Diesel oil. more expensive, but by the time you chase around finding cheaper oil you may as well get some when you fill up the car.

As a post script to this, we bought a new IH574 and it came with running in oil in the sump. Our IH Dealer told us to work the tractor hard and on on account change to better oil for at least 200hr,
Not sure if these aplications were relavant in Fords, if it was the case, i imagine new engine rebuilds in Dextas would need lesser quality oils.
Hence i suppose the straight 20's or 30' grade oils rather than top quallity Multigrades.
Last edited by YorkshireDextaMan on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have not seen a lawn mower with either an F3.144 or an F3.152 in it, come to think of it, it would be a heck of a thing to push. :shock:

YDM is right, Its not the best but at least its for a Diesel engine.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

I think ill have to stick with my 15/40 agri power plus , the sae 30w lawn mower was the first and only 30w oil i have have seen here and got me thinking , mybe there is someone out there who would know of any where in ireland this 20/30 0r stright 30w can be got, iknow agriline /morris and such has them but its cost every time you need an oil change is unreal even if they would deliver :?: Gerry

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

[quote="GERRY"]I think ill have to stick with my 15/40 agri power plus , the sae 30w lawn mower was the first and only 30w oil i have have seen here and got me thinking , mybe there is someone out there who would know of any where in ireland this 20/30 0r stright 30w can be got, iknow agriline /morris and such has them but its cost every time you need an oil change is unreal even if they would deliver :?: Gerry[/quote
Go to your nearest tractor dealer ask him for 12pts of any oil rated CD or CE.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks yorkshiredextaman that makes it awhole lot easier,
Gerry

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I seem to recall Morris have an outlet in Ireland in Co Kilkenny as we use them for the loco (but that takes close to 200 gallons)

As for lawn mower oil, mine get fully synth oil 5W30 as I use the left over stuff from the car

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

ihave just been googling castrol and they have a oil called tection monograde 30 it is for older engines ithink , ican get this localy would this be suitaible for the dexta, Gerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is a new one to me but it looks OK from the site. They also do some of the old oils, Castrol XL and XXl which would be OK too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

the castrol XL and XXL is a motor car oil is this ok for our diesel tractors , if it is would halfords classic mor car oil 20/50 be ok . GERRY

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The Castrol oils were a detergent oil as good as any way back. Oils like them and GTX met the original specs. In fact I use GTX in my Discovery today.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Folk
Just bought 40litres of Shell Rimula RT4 oil for my Dexta.
@£1.00 a litre in 20l drums, still sealed!!
Googling I found the following info:

"Shell Rimula RT4 15W-40
As a replacement for the Shell Rimula Super, this Euro 4 heavy duty diesel engine oil is top quality, super high performance diesel oil specially designed to provide the highest levels of performance in all modern diesel engines used in the road transport and construction industries internationally.
ACEA-E7, E5, E3
API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
Cummins CES 20078, 20077, 20072 and 20071
DDC: 93K215
Global DHD-1
MB Approval 228.3
Mack Truck EO-M EO-M+
MAN 3275
Renault Trucks: RLD-2
Volvo VDS-3".

This was from a UK supplier who quotes £40 for 8l.
Googling api ci-4 came up with:
"Oils claiming an API CI-4 performance level will need to have the required:
• Thermal stability
• Soot handling capability
• Acid neutralization ability
• Corrosion protection
• Oxidation stability"

The ACEA specs were found on another Google
These relate to most oils.
Full ACEA specs are:

* A1 Fuel Economy Petrol
* A2 Standard performance level
* A3 High performance and / or extended drain
* B1 Fuel Economy diesel
* B2 Standard performance level
* B3 High performance and / or extended drain
* B4 For direct injection passenger car diesel engines
* E1 Non-turbo charged light duty diesel
* E2 Standard performance level
* E3 High performance extended drain
* E4 Higher performance and longer extended drain
* E5 (1999) High performance / long drain plus American/API performances.

So do I put it in my Dexta?? It will be going into a new short engine so there won't be age/wear problems.
I don't think I can go wrong.
Regards
Jerry Coles
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It is way over the spec. of what was used originally. I would feel that it is too high a detergent. A Series 3 oil was not recommended for Dexta, Major, Perkins or certain Mercedes diesel engines and your oil exceeds those specs.

Those engines need a "carbon seal" around the top of the piston and too high a spec oil may not allow it to form resulting in oil in the exhaust.

Both the Perkins engine and the Merc in Claas combines had to be run on "normal" diesel engine oil rather than the higher detergent ones.

It may work well in your new engine but if you do start to get oil in the exhaust you may have to "down grade". Its worth a try though at that price.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

All I've ever used in my 4000 Y and Super Dexta for the last 25 years is Shell Rimula 15W40. Both tractors are best described as well used and are regularly used. The 4000 is doing 300/400 hour per year.Neither engine from both tractors has ever been apart, but oil changes have been every 120 hours.We also used to call Castrol GTX, "Castrol find a leak"! :yeah:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

I have just got areply from castrol tec dept , they say that
CASTROL X1 30 was orignal spec for dexta , and Tection 30 is the modren version, So Brian you were right once again , a least at long last i know what i will be using from now on an i can get this localy :lol:

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Gerry,

I use Castrol CRB30 in the Fordson Diesel and the Perkins P6 Diesel, and CRB40 in the Kerosene Engines. I have a flyer here issued by Castrol which states Castrol CRB is replaced by Castrol Tection 30 and Tection 40. Another good oil is Mobil Delvac 1230D.

A few years ago both these oils would have been known as Series 2 SAE 30.
BarryM

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

An interesting subject

I was planning on using:

Mineral 15W40 SL/CF A3/B4

Which comes in at about £35 for 20 litres