Low Sulphur Diesel

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Low Sulphur Diesel

Post by michael dyer »

I thought that members should be aware of the introduction of low sulphur diesel:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/05/1 ... f-farm.htm

It may cause problems

Stumpy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Stumpy »

That is a good article. I read it with great interest We changed over to ULSD in 2007. We have had minimal problems, akthough we do not blend with bio fuels at my work yet. Thanks for posting the link :D

Stumpy

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

There has been a lot of discussion on another forum about adding 2 stroke oil to the new fuel when used in old engines to give sufficent lubrication.

Has this been the practice in the USA?

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

New engines, I add add 1 part 2 stroke oil to 200 parts diesel on my modern common rail :lol:

Stumpy
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Stumpy »

pjjms wrote:There has been a lot of discussion on another forum about adding 2 stroke oil to the new fuel when used in old engines to give sufficent lubrication.

Has this been the practice in the USA?
There was alot of talk here as well, but after 3 years very little trouble has been realized. Some use additives, most don't I have run my dexta with a lubricity additive......just because.... :D All of the company trucks and equipment take it straight out of the pump, no additives. no problems

I don't know what your fuel qualities are, we use Irving Premium plus at our company exclusivly and fuel only at our own location so we know the fuel quality is consistent.....I am the driver that hauls it from the terminal.

Stumpy

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

[quote="russelm"]New engines, I add add 1 part 2 stroke oil to 200 parts diesel on my modern common rail :lol:[/quot

I dont understand your thinking on this. If you read the artical , it says that the new generation of Tier3? engines are built to run on Low Sulphur Fuels, So why would anyone want to add anything, whats there to lubricate in the Upper Cylinder.?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All Tier 3 are designed to run on low sulphur. This means their pump components are designed to run with less lubrication from the fuel as sulphur was a lubricant. The components do not last as long as those in our pumps.

Our pumps were designed to run on High Sulphur diesel oil and so require more internal lubrication from the fuel. As this has now been removed it is possible that our pumps will give trouble when run on low sulphur diesel.

At the moment, this is theory. I have been running my Nuffy on low sulphur road diesel for some years, with occasional fill ups with "red" high sulphur diesel. So far I have had no problems.

On the other hand, I ran Harriet, my TE20 and Henrietta on unleaded petrol and suffered sticking inlet valves on both. I now use lead substitute and ATF in their fuel and in Dotty and have no problems now.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

YorkshireDextaMan wrote:
russelm wrote:New engines, I add add 1 part 2 stroke oil to 200 parts diesel on my modern common rail :lol:[/quot

I dont understand your thinking on this. If you read the artical , it says that the new generation of Tier3? engines are built to run on Low Sulphur Fuels, So why would anyone want to add anything, whats there to lubricate in the Upper Cylinder.?
There is some valid research out there that shows that the addition of a small quantity of 2 stroke does help lubricate the high pressure pumps etc.

Its also shown to improve the burn of the fuel.

And I have to say, the idle noise is a bit lower

Juergen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: 2-stroke oil i diesel

Post by Juergen »

Brian wrote:All Tier 3 are designed to run on low sulphur. This means their pump components are designed to run with less lubrication from the fuel as sulphur was a lubricant. The components do not last as long as those in our pumps.

Our pumps were designed to run on High Sulphur diesel oil and so require more internal lubrication from the fuel. As this has now been removed it is possible that our pumps will give trouble when run on low sulphur diesel.

At the moment, this is theory. I have been running my Nuffy on low sulphur road diesel for some years, with occasional fill ups with "red" high sulphur diesel. So far I have had no problems.

On the other hand, I ran Harriet, my TE20 and Henrietta on unleaded petrol and suffered sticking inlet valves on both. I now use lead substitute and ATF in their fuel and in Dotty and have no problems now.

I use a 1956 Fordson Major Tractor with low sulphur diesel.

Did try 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank.
I did notice the Engine was running with a deeper sound
and at idling speed was a bit faster.
The Injector Pump was making less noise.
I will continue using the oil - Diesel mix.

Juergen

russelm
True Blue

Re: Low Sulphur Diesel

Post by russelm »

Yes, the 2 stroke oil is a very good compromise (but is getting more expensive and harder to source here).

I suspect, lubrication aside, that the Dexta will suffer few other issues from the addition of Bio diesel (even red now has bio diesel in it and is low sulphur) and the lower sulphur content. However, it is affecting the seals on my class 47 Sulzer injectors (they have a rubber O ring at the pump top which is not at all happy!).

Just remember that Bio diesel will 'grow' if left for extended periods although you can get a biocide that stops/slows this down.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

oldcharlie
True Blue

Re: Low Sulphur Diesel

Post by oldcharlie »

I had a boat with a Perkins three cylinder in it but it was a new motor so I had no issues with the low sulfur. but old motors like the one in my super dextra will and do have problems. one's that have run on the old high sulfur fuel will have seal problems. My injector pump leaks like crazy and I am sure it is from the low sulfur fuel. once again the government fixing something that ain't broke!