tires

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

tires

Post by naildriver »

Got my rubber off my rims to be sandblasted. Now I'm trying to decide about which brand of new tires. In most cases, you get what you pay for,is that true for tractor tires also. It looks like there would only be minor differences. What's your opinion? what brand do you recommend?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

It's worth a search on here, try 'tyres', note spelling! :wink: . There's a ton of threads on the subject.
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

naildriver
True Blue

Size

Post by naildriver »

What's on it now are 13.6 x 28 on 12in rim. Fronts are 5.5 x 16. I recently saw a tractor with slightly oversize front tyres and I thought it looked good bringing the front up a little and more level. Is this something I can do and what are the problems that might come from this?

naildriver
True Blue

Tyres??

Post by naildriver »

Bensdexta wrote:It's worth a search on here, try 'tyres', note spelling! :wink: . There's a ton of threads on the subject.
All the best,
I have gone through some of the search and hope to more as I have time. Some of the brands mentioned, I have never heard of before.

naildriver
True Blue

Rims

Post by naildriver »

I have local guy who says that he will blast and powder coat my rims for $220. I think it may be worth it, what do you think?

naildriver
True Blue

more problems

Post by naildriver »

I just noticed that I have two different rear rims, one measures 10in and the other 11in, that's just great. :(

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: more problems

Post by Bensdexta »

naildriver wrote:I just noticed that I have two different rear rims, one measures 10in and the other 11in, that's just great. :(
How are you measuring rim width? The 'official' way is to measure the internal width between the rim's beads, as that's what affects the tyre. Other folk may use a different definition which makes for alot of confusion.

The usual internal beadwidth in UK is 9", on 28" rims. I'm told that 10" wheels are rare and the only real alternative is 11". But the rim size affects the tyre sizes you can choose, which in turn gives more or less clearance with the mud guards (fenders). I chose to stick with 9" rims to keep things simple.

A useful thread on the subject is:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... ght=wheels
All the best, :wink:

Frans
True Blue

Re: Rims

Post by Frans »

naildriver wrote:I have local guy who says that he will blast and powder coat my rims for $220. I think it may be worth it, what do you think?
Thats almost the same as I paid for 4 rims overhere 150 euro
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Mark
True Blue

Re: Rims

Post by Mark »

naildriver wrote:I have local guy who says that he will blast and powder coat my rims for $220. I think it may be worth it, what do you think?
The powder coating isn't necessary, just paint it with some good paint and save yourself some money. I bought Goodyear from my local New Holland dealer and put on mine, they make a good tractor tire.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

naildriver
True Blue

Powder Coat

Post by naildriver »

Here's how I came up with the powder coat; I called all over and even sent pics of my rims [so they could see what shape they were in] to several different people. Prices started at $200 and went way up from there for blasting and prime so when one guy said $220 for blasting and powder coat, I thought that was worth the extra $20. I should have asked his price for blasting only.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Bensdexta wrote:
naildriver wrote:I just noticed that I have two different rear rims, one measures 10in and the other 11in, that's just great. :(
How are you measuring rim width? The 'official' way is to measure the internal width between the rim's beads, as that's what affects the tyre. Other folk may use a different definition which makes for alot of confusion.

The usual internal beadwidth in UK is 9", on 28" rims. I'm told that 10" wheels are rare and the only real alternative is 11". But the rim size affects the tyre sizes you can choose, which in turn gives more or less clearance with the mud guards (fenders). I chose to stick with 9" rims to keep things simple.

I was measuring at the widest point.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

naildriver wrote:
Bensdexta wrote:

I was measuring at the widest point.
So if it measures 11in at widest point then it is probably a 10 in rim???

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

naildriver wrote:So if it measures 11in at widest point then it is probably a 10 in rim???
Probably so :wink: