Wiring route for rear lights

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Wiring route for rear lights

Post by npaisnel »

Can any one tell me the correct place for the wiring to the rear lights on a 1959 Dexta?

I know it comes out from under the tin plates either side of the steering box,down the side of the housing held by a clip and then rearward through the holes in the mating flanges between bellhousing and g/box, then between footplates and their brackets.
But from there? along the top or back of the footplate? or along the rear axle.

I have seen a Super Dexta with the black spiral conduit just sitting on the back of the footplate, and not secured to anything. It goes under the wing and disapears inside the wing rear support bracket about 2 inches up. On the side for the number plate light, a piece of steel brake pipe snakes from lamp unit along rear axle and into the bottom of the rear wing bracket.

I assume that they would not have changed the way the cable was fed into the wing on from Dexta to Super Dexta, so will be drilling these holes in the wing supports on mine, unless some one can tell me different.

One more question, not so important, but I would like to get it correct if I can.
The feed for the rear lights comes out of the wiring loom just behind the clock. On mine it is a single black wire, terminated in a bullet, and a single bullet sleeve. It is not a double as I would have expected, to allow a feed to go to the left and the right.
Anyone know how it would have split to left/right? Two wires into one bullet? or should there be a double bullet sleeve there or is there something missing from the loom here?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

There are separate wires running from the light switch either side to the right and left hand rear lights. If you look you will see that the footplate support brackets are joggled to accomodate the conduit, ie. the conduit is supported between the brackets and the foot plate.

The cables then run up inside the middle mudguard stiffener and into the side/rear light fitting. A branch is taken from the right hand wire to the number plate light, you are correct in so far as it runs in a steel tube, I'm not sure on the exact details. Likewise the left hand wire branches off to the trailer socket fitted to the toolbox.

If you require more information, contact me in the morning and I will check and if need be photograph the arrangement on my 1959 Dexta. I also have a couple of incomplete original wiring looms and I can check these to establish the wiring arrangements at the switch.

If you have fitted new mudguards and are not sure of the position of the light fittings I can take some measurements for you.

Gerald
Last edited by Tubal Cain on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ok, thanks for the reply.

They are not new mudguards, but the originals that I have re built the stiffeners and parts of the skin. So no hole where the cable should have gone in. Mine only have two stiffeners, by saying the wire on yours runs up the middle stiffener, implies you have three. I only have the two, and the wire runs up the rear one directly in to the light.
I also do understand where the conduit runs down the side of the tractor, I took the conduit out from under the foot plates, between the plates and the supports

The bit I don't know is the leap across the foot plate to the wing. Does the conduit run across the back of the footplate, or along the axle?

I do understand that there are two wires running back, one for each side, but there is only one wire exiting from the wiring loom. I was wondering how this was split on the original.

Thanks

Neil

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Neil,

I will check out my tractor in the morning and come back to you.

Gerald

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

That will be great thanks.

Mine has been in the family since new, but the wings rotted away at the base. and lights have never works for as long as I can remember. Could just put the wiring anywhere, but would like to get it back as close as possible.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Neil,

I have just found a wiring diagram which clearly shows the rear lighting circuit being split by means of a bullet connector. With two black cables running left and right which in turn are split by means of bullet connectors to provide feeds to the number plate light and the trailer socket.

You can find the diagram on Stephans site
www.fordson-dexta.de/downloads/section9.pdf

Gerald

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Yes, thanks
That does look like a double bullet connector. I do have that pdf file as well, Have been looking this morning. That is good, at least I dont have anything missing. Will be changing the colours of the wires I have used though. I know, being a bit fussy considering I am not doing restoration, but just trying to get everything back to 'as original'

Still trying to find how the side lights are secured, pan head set screws or hex bolt heads?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The sidelights are fixed with screws and not bolts. Please don't use gutter bolts they look dreadful on an old tractor and have spoilt many a restoration!

Whilst the conduit and wires are missing, there are clips fitted on the rear edges of the mudguards on my old tractor suggesting that the conduit ran from under the footplates and up the edge of the mudguard and inside the rear (yes there are only two) stiffener up to the sidelights.

I am guessing that the feed to the number plate light ran in steel conduit from the footplate following the row of bolts securing the trumpet housing to the axle casing. This would be the most logical path.

Gerald

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

No, not using gutter bolts! I imagine they are the same size originally as the ones the hold the small side panels and ignition/lighting switch on.

I have looked at a tractor yesterday (Super Dexta) that has the conduit loose on the top of the footplate, but it does go in the hole in the rear stiffener.

This tractor also has the steel pipe for the number plate running along the back of the axle and into the small hole in the corner of the bottom of the rear stiffener.

These clips on the rear of the mudguard have me wondering though, I cant imagine the conduit going any where near the rear of the guard. I was imagining it clipped to the footplate or the axle, and then to the wing between the two big bolts that secure the wing to the axle, not going anywhere near the rear of the guard.