Trailer hitch release lever

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Trailer hitch release lever

Post by npaisnel »

Does anyone have a picture of the trailer hitch release lever just behind the seat?

I found a correct lever in a box of bits today, and want to use it to replace the old bit of steel welded there at the moment.

I want to make sure I weld it on with the dog leg in the correct direction.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Neil,

I will also check this out for you in the morning!

Gerald

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pictures courtesy of Mervyn in South Africa.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Trailer hitchrelease lever

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Brian

Thank you very much for posting those pictures for me, I hope they will help Npaisnel with his query.

Best regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Yes, thanks that is a help.

I was going to put it 90 degrees either side of that. Did not imagine it went that way.

Thanks again

Neil

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Just been looking through the PDF file of the manual, to find how the side lights are secured and found a picture of the hitch instead. I could have answered the question myself.
Still cant find the diagram of the side lights though, can't find a tinwork section in the pdf files

Looks like you have some cutting/welding to do Mervyn :)

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Trailer hitch release

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Glad you were able to help yourself. Not sure what you mean by "got some cutting and welding to do"? If it is the direction of the release - that is how it was when I bought the tractor. To me what does it matter, as long as it works. Maybe somebody else may send in another picture to prove a point. Maybe the diagram shows it like that just to illistrate the bend. My opinion.

Kind regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ummm interesting, bought from new?

I must admit I was suprised to see how yours was welded on, I was expecting it angled left or right, not backwards. If yours was from new, then maybe we have another 'Grille colour' saga on our hands.

We had two or three of Dexta on the farm here, just the one original left now. Sold the others 10 years ago, but none had the original levers left, they had all been snapped off and random steel bars welded back on over the years.

As you say, lets see if any other picturs appear

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Sorry I may have misled your thinking, I bought my ol'girl in a bad state four years ago and as you might have noticed the rear end still has not been touched. My handle when I look at the weld, does look a bit rough. Also thinking more about the handle position of the picture - pointing right, it makes sense to be where it is for ease of reach rather than twisting your back that much more in my case. To sum up, I think the picture shows the correct position.

I appologise for coming over a bit strong earlier.

Kind regards
Mervyn

PS: Which part of the world do live in Neil? don't see it on your profile.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have just checked my hitch and it is mounted in the same position and manner as shown in Mervyn's photo.

Gerald

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

No need to apologise, not a problem.

Mine is a bit rough, have done the tinwork with new paint, but am not planning a full paint job of the whole thing, at least till I have driven it for a few years again and repaired all the little snags that will show up. It has been laid up in a shed for 15 years wih a dead gearbox, have done the g/box and wings, but no doubt loads of other stuff will appear with use.

Where ins SA are you? I spent 18 months in Midrand, just outside Jo'burg. Went to Ug for a while after that, now back home.

Neil

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Nice to deal with someone who knows our country. I'm in Pietermaritzburg and work at the Scottsville Racecourse. My son lives near Midrand at Paulhof suburb of Fourways, Sandton. you've lost me where is UG ? See you don't have an email, would be nice to have or place on your profile.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Neil
Not a good idea to place email address here rather in your profile.

Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ah yes, I know Fourways, and Sandton.
Ug= Uganda
Was on Congo/Ug border. Supposed to be flying, but did more driving across the border in an old Bedford TK than any flying.

Will update profile with e-mail just now

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Re. rear linkage

Post by Ambidextarous »

Hello guys
I recently bought a Super Dexta that didn't have a pick up hitch. I have only got the hook that sits inside an angle iron frame and the two rods that fit onto the top linkage arms. I don't even have the release lever. Can anyone suggest a tractor breakers where i might, if i'm very lucky, get hold of these parts. I'm in Lincolnshire and am new to the scene and have no idea where to source parts from. Thanks.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ambidextarous

Welcome to the board I'm sure you will find it very informative.

Check on Ebay.com enter Fordson Tractor Parts in the space, once there, scroll to the bottom of the page and select united kingdom, or try ebay.uk there are two Dexta auto pickup hitches - you need to scroll down quite a bit till you see it o0ne on page 3 and the other on page 4. Numbers 120281693770 and 160259146441 respectively. Hope that is what you are looking for. I would certainly bid for it if I was closer to the UK. South Africa is too far and the shipping costs would be crazy.

Good luck

Regards
Mervyn

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Hi Ambidextarous, Mervyn and everone else,

Here is a short cut method for eBay users.
If you cut and paste the ebay listing numbers (one at a time) from Mervyn's post above directly into the search bar on the ebay site (whatever country you are accessing ebay from) you will go directly to the listing. The numbers are unique to each listing and not dependant on country.

Hope that's a usefull tip for everyone. ;)

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Rick

Thats great, I tried it out and Bingo. Thanks very much for the tip, makes life that much simpler.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

I see there is another Dexta auto hitch on ebay that shows the release handle very nicely. It is as you thought it should be. Item number is 110270531699. Check it out.

Kind regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Mervyn
Thanks for that

Good useful picture

Neil

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Glad I was able to help in the end. As you pointed out at the outset I now have some cutting and welding to do to get mine right.

Kind regards
Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Well, have not put mine back yet. Have not even been in the workshop for some weeks now. Am at the farm every day, but always other things to do. This morning it is strimming around the fence posts of paddocks that we are resting.

Now we have the direction of the dog leg sorted.....I wonder about the angle it comes out the cross shaft from in relation to the catches at the end of the shaft.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Neil

Good point! Looking at the ebay pictures again and also at mine, it looks as though it could be in line with the holes of the bracket that the long arms down to the hitch are attached too. Excuse the terms, I'm not really sure what to call them. Hope you can figure out what I mean.
Good luck

Mervyn

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

I know what you mean about what to call what bit!

I e-mailed the seller to see if he would send me/us another pic, taken more end on.

Will see if they respond

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Hitch Release

Post by Ambidextarous »

Thanks for the Ebay tip Mervin. Did you see the price of these things? I'm going to have to sell off other parts of my tractor to pay for the bleedin' hitch! Thank you to Meanderer too for the cut & paste tip. I already knew this, but it's nice to know there are helpful guys out there willing to help. If i manage to sell my body before the bidding ends i might venture a dabble on the old Ebay.