Restoration Progress

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ddoan
True Blue

Restoration Progress

Post by ddoan »

Well, my '59 Dexta's motor is complete (for the most part). I've been dry fitting the tractor as I go along, then, take it apart for tweaking as necessary. I'm also finding that I haven't lost anything so far over the past 16 months. Here are some shots that I took earlier, today:

In addition, there are quite a few new photos in my album, for those interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorNstu ... toration02#

It'll be a while before I fire her up, but progress is steady if slow.

Don

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Don,

Great restoration! Astounding photos!
Thanks for taking the time to share them.
And letting the 3-point hitch drawbar help out!

Did you manage to discover the reason the hydraulic control lever was binding?

Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Why are the front wheels at crazy angles? Just a matter of adjustment?

Great work again :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Les,

No, I still haven't figured out the control lever/quadrant problem. I do know, from looking closely at the Shop Manual, that my component parts look identical. But, something is obviously wrong with my set up. When I do a restoration, there are lots of things that come relatively easy. I get them done right away. Then, there are the niggling problems that take more time and thought. The control lever is one of them. Also, I've got to centralize the two clutch discs so that they can be bolted up to the flywheel. And, of course, there will be issues once the tractor is back together and (hopefully) running).

Ben,

I've made no steering arm or drag link adjustments, as yet. Again, that's one of those things that will take some time. Right now, I just want to make sure that I have all of my original parts, so I'm sort of "tacking" everything together to find out.

Don

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ddoan wrote:Also, I've got to centralize the two clutch discs so that they can be bolted up to the flywheel.
I used a spare input shaft from a scrap gearbox to line my single clutch up, which is obviously much easier than a double clutch.

ddoan
True Blue

Post by ddoan »

Hey Ben,

I had the right and left spindles reversed. She's not so pigeon-toed, now!

About the clutch. Yes, the double clutch is quite different, and considerably more difficult to restore and reinstall. As it happens, I've got a CNC router in my wood shop. I plan on designing and fabricating a centralizing jig to get both the PTO and transmission shafts aligned.

By the way, can you give me a quick tutorial on how to capture a quote, like you did in your previous post. I must be missing something in the instructions on how to do that.

Thanks,

Don

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

ddoan wrote:I had the right and left spindles reversed. She's not so pigeon-toed, now!
I thought that looked like alot of adjustment!
By the way, can you give me a quick tutorial on how to capture a quote, like you did in your previous post.
That's easy - just click the "quote" button in the post you want to quote. You will see the code it generates in the [..], a bit like the "img" code.

BTW did you do the experiment to check the # of turns of the crankshaft to realign the timing marks (18 I believe?)?

Looking forward to more of your pics. :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben,
It's 17 revolutions until the timing marks align back up. 8)
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer