Clutch Issues

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Clutch Issues

Post by jharville »

Hi,
I did some searching on your site and found some ideas on what my problem might be but I wanted to tell the story and see if anyone has any ideas. I had been working on a pond dam with no apparent problems. I was at a point where I was using the tractor tires to pack some dirt so I would drive up the dam and then press in the clutch to let the tractor roll back down. Well I hit a bump on one pass and my foot came off the clutch. So all at once my tractor was engaged while still rolling in reverse. Well, I made several more passes with no apparent problem, then turned the tractor around to go elsewhere. When I got to my destination I pressed the clutch in and nothing happened...tractor kept going forward. I ended up with the front end up in a bush on an imbankment before I could cut the tractor off. I thought maybe something had come out of adjustment so I relocated the clutch linkage to the second hole(two stage clutch) as an experiment. In this position the last 1/4 of pedal travel was very difficult to push but did seem to disengage the clutch. I was able to get the tractor out of the bush and change gears at this point. I decided I'd go ahead and move 2 more piles of dirt before parking it to look into clutch problems....big mistake. I went forward and backwards a few more times and then the next gear change did nothing....it just stayed put...IN THE BOTTOM OF MY POND...WITH RAIN CHANCES!! If I put the tractor in a gear and let the clutch out I can feel the tractor budge ever so slightly. Is this one of those cases where I'm going to have to open her up to see what's wrong? Do you think the foot slipping of the clutch could have been the cause of the problem?
-Jason Harville

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi Jason,
Wlcome to the board. It sounds like you have a dual or Live clutch on your tractor and it will need to be split to locate your problem. I suspect that you might have sheared the rivets in the drive clutch disc when your foot slipped and broken parts were jamming the operation of the clutch.

You may find that parts are a little difficult to get hold of but they are out there. Keep us informed on what you find.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jharville »

can someone verify that the clutch disks on this page are the correct ones?
http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/W ... s_352.html
Part #'s
UF50011
UF50012
From what I've seen this is a pretty good price. Heck, I don't even know that the disks are what needs replacing...guess I'm just hoping thats all it is! haha
-Jason Harville
-Jason Harville

jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jharville »

Ok, I verified for myself that the parts in my prev post appear to be the right ones. I was able to remove the clutch and get it disassembled this weekend. This was my first time splitting a tractor and I was surprised how easy it was. I was able to verify what Brian suspected....the rivets had failed on the transmission clutch plate. The pads were completely gone on one side. Luckily, there was very little damage otherwise. One of the dampner springs on the cluth disk had a fracture in it, although it looked like it had been that way for a long time....not sure if the new one will come with those or not.
My real concern is the positioning spring on the transmission clutch levers. 2 out of 3 of them have snapped so the levers aren't being held in the default position like they should. I'm not sure if this happened at the same time as the clutch disk failure or what. It doesn't seem logical that they would be affected by the disk going out. Are these springs necessary? I'm not even sure if they are available or how hard it would be to replace them.
The other thing I had a question about are the seals. I clearly had some oil on the clutch pads so I'm assuming I need to look into seal replacement. From what I can tell, the manual talks about 3 seals I'll have access to from my current tractor split(crankshaft seal, Driveshaft main seal, and PTO input shaft inner seal). How likely is it that I'll need to replace all 3 of these and is it a pretty easy task? Sorry for the novel...just thinking out loud I guess :?
-Jason Harville

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Jason

Go to Stefans site, he has all the answers and pictures for there, wealth of information. Click on the links option and look for Stefan.de or something like that.

Good luck.

Regards
Mervyn

jharville
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jharville »

Ok, I looked through the site. All I saw was where he bolted on a brand new clutch. I've already bought the new disk and the new seals. I need to know if those lever springs need to be replaced and if so, where I can find them. Any suggestions? Hoping to get her back together for some weekend work.
-Jason Harville
-Jason Harville

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I take it you mean the spring that fits over the pin with a hook shape at the end of each arm.

Yes you do need them. You may have a bit of difficulty getting them but I would try taking them to a Ford dealer because they may be similar to ones used in the 100 series tractors.

They should be available from Agriline as they offer a completely new live clutch for the Dexta, so they must have the parts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The New Holland part numbers for the springs, which I understand are still available, are:

Spring release lever 81717047

Spring main 81717048

Gerald